Culligan Medalist (8in) Settings - Too Many Regens

Users who are viewing this thread

ws_homeowner

Reaction score
The problem is I seem to go through 40# of Potassium Chloride every 4-6 weeks and I suspect the settings on my Cullilgan Medalist are off. My water use has been consistent since installation with sprinklers and drip in the summer months (17 minutes a day). My stats are this:

1 adult in house
2 bathrooms
7.5 gpg water hardness
.012 ppm iron
60 gal/day - est for next six months (Nov. - Apr.)
165 gal/day - est for warm months (May - Oct.)

For the four settings, I have:

Salt dosage (sltp) - 10
Backwash time (buu) - 10
Brine Draw/Slow Rinse Time (br) - 71 (Too high?)
Regeneration Meter Mode (Gallons) (CAPG) - has been from 60 to 240 - ** I am not sure how to determine this setting **

Based on my calculations, I want to regenerate every 45 days for the winter months but the meter mode wants gallons:

(with 10# salt)
21,000 / 7.5 = 2800/60 = 45 --> should I simply set CAPG to 280?

After initial setup up five years ago, it seemed like I was adding salt every three months, now every 1+ months. The only other factor I can think of is I have never cleaned out the salt storage tank.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks.

Last edited:

ws_homeowner

Reaction score
Based on a .7ft resin block, the system is rated at 4#/18,300gr, 9#/25,100gr and 12#/27,500gr. A quick calculation gives me 10#/25,900gr. Using a CAPG setting of 280 equates to 2800 gallons when I multiply by 10 (per manual), tells the system to regenerate after processing 2800 gallons of water. Since my water hardness is 7.5gpg, I multiply 2800 gallons by 7.5gpg giving a result of 21000 grains. Since my salt setting (sltp) is 10, the system can process 25,900 grains...max. That gives the system some room before reaching the max. I will makes adjustments to this number over the next few months depending on the quality of the softened water based on my initial calculations.

Also, the Brine Draw/Slow Rinse Time (br) of 71 is OK. A setting of 60-65 is typical.

ws_homeowner

Reaction score
And to answer my initial question of too many regens...the answer is no. With a CAPG setting of 120 or 1200 gallons and water usage average of 145g/day for August gives 8.27 days until a regeneration. That's approximately 4 regens in a month using 10# per regen or 40# per month. As expected based on the settings and usage.

I have noticed that the water has not been soft in the shower (no slippery feel on skin), but no water marks/deposits on dishes or anything else for that matter. Not sure why that is but I will clean the brine tank soon to eliminate that as a variable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks