(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Gary Slusser and your webpage to determine efficiency settings idea.

Hybrid View

Default Gary Slusser and your webpage to determine efficiency settings idea.

http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/sizing.php

That one above. And many thanks for this useful tool.

Had an idea, wouldn't it get great if you had the option to select the resin type used? Or spots to type in the characteristics of the resin.

As an example, the SST60 resin or a fine mesh resin. I realize it shouldn't change the numbers by more than 20% maximum, but since this webpage is all about more efficiency settings, seems like a good idea.

You're welcome.

SST is very expensive compared to regular mesh resin and fine mesh is more expensive also while it has a higher pressure loss than SST or regular mesh.

None of that is good plus the supposedly higher salt efficiency claims rarely prove to be true in residential applications. So I only suggested SST (I always spoke to every customer before placing their order) only when there was high iron content because SST won't iron foul like regular or fine mesh does.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    You're welcome.

SST is very expensive compared to regular mesh resin and fine mesh is more expensive also while it has a higher pressure loss than SST or regular mesh.

None of that is good plus the supposedly higher salt efficiency claims rarely prove to be true in residential applications. So I only suggested SST (I always spoke to every customer before placing their order) only when there was high iron content because SST won't iron foul like regular or fine mesh does.
    Gary,

Thanks for your reply. I always like it when people with your wealth of experience respond, it usually saves me a ton of time from chasing bad ideas.

My thinking at the time I purchased the Vortex tank and SST60 resin was one of wanting pure quality and less future problems. Any efficiency gains were just a bonus. My understanding is that the SST60 has a lower leakage rate, less suspectable to fouling and is much more durable. I thought this would lead to a longer troublefree lifespan. If I can tweak for salt efficiency gains, then WIN!

I am at a point in life were a few hundred dollars means little, so why not go for the quality?

IMO most of the claims made by dealers selling SST and fine mesh are sales hype and they certainly don't mind selling higher priced products. On the other hand I always mentioned the good and the bad and gave my opinion against spending more money than needed to do the same job.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.