I Can't Take It Anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

CantTakeItAnymore

Reaction score
Replaced the original builder's Eljer two-piece low line toilets (all FOUR of 'em) with Kohler one-piece. I PLUNGE EVERY WEEK, AND IT'S NOT EVEN BECAUSE OF ME! IT'S MY WIFE AND KIDS!

So now I begin reading and understand that it's a combination of the females in my home plus the mandated 1.6gpf. OK. Then I read consumer reports -- and then I read this forum.

All I want is a reasonably priced one-piece elongated toilet that does the job it's supposed to!

I am at wit's end!!

HELP!!!!

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Have you read Terry's toilet comparisons? In a one-piece, he really likes the Toto Ultramax.

How much is "reasonably priced?"

CantTakeItAnymore

Reaction score
Steve, thanks for your reply.

I saw Terry's recommendation, but I wanted to come in under $300. Do I have it right -- the UltraMax is like the American Standard Champion in that they're both gravity fed, but with a 3" diameter rather than industry standard 2"?

And wouldn't a Flushmate or other power-assist work better (you wouldn't believe my teenaged daughters)?

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yep, the Ultramax is a gravity unit and does have a 3" flush valve. The American Standards have not had much good press on this site due to premature failures of their unique flush valve.

I have a Crane Economizer with Flushmate, myself. Have had it about 4-5 years and have given it a severe workout! Has never, never clogged, and really cleans the bowl well with its aggressive flush, so no streaking.

The downsides (there'a ALWAYS at least one!) are that it's noisy, and it does fairly regularly need to be double-flushed with solids, since it doesn't always get everything "down" in one flush.
aquia_angle.jpg

Toto Aquia CST414M with SS114 softclose seat

If I were replacing it today, I would probably go with a Toto Aquia, just because I like the dual-flush mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A good toilet, whether it is the Champion, or the Toto, or any brand of pressure assist, is going to push the $300 mark.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Under $300?

Toto Ultimate MS854114 for $299

I had one in the home for a year, worked great.

I have an Aquia in one bath now, works well.
It's a little different than most, in that you will hear water in the plastic trapway, whenever water is added to the bowl.
Most toilets don't have plastic in the trapway and are queiter when water is added.

One of the other bathrooms has a Toto Ultramax with CEFIONTECT.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some of the 1.6 gpf gravity flush units have a double flush mode, even if it's not advertised.

They are set to close when 1.6 gallons is discharged, thus meeting the requirement; but they leave a lot of water in the tank.

On my American Standard, there is a little foam float on the flush chain that is set at a height that allows it to close after 1.6 gallons, but if the float is relocated down tight against the flapper it keeps it open longer and flushes more than 3 gallons.

An Eljer that I recently installed for a neighbor also flushes only about half the tank (1.6 gallons) if you immediately release the lever, but if you hold the lever down you get a 3+ gallon flush. You could get the superflush automatically if a float is attaced to the top of the valve.

CantTakeItAnymore

Reaction score
You know what? Toto Aquia looks like it would fit the bill...

...if I just ease off the one piece requirement (which I have because the lack of a seam means one less thing to worry about cleaning). It's the same price as the ultimate, but pushes through more than twice the mass! Thanks, guys. A most amazing site -- I can't believe how much I've learned about toilets!

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It IS a great site, isn't it? And surprisingly compelling reading! My wife elbows me in the ribs when I bring up the MaP report at family dinners...

I like the look of the Aquia, too -- sort of looks like a one-piece.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks