(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Programming an 5600SXT for maximum effenciency

This is what i did using the figures from; http://www.caitechnologies.com/image...pecs/SST60.pdf

Capacity = 30,000
    Hardness = 40
    Reserve = 120 gallons
    Days Override = 8
    Backwash = 5 minutes
    BrineDraw = 30 minutes
    Rapid Rinse = 8 minutes
    Brine Fill = 4 minutes (there is a sticker on the WS that says .5 gallon /1.5lbs)

So, 30,000 grains / 6lbs should be 5,000 salt efficiency ?

Can this bad boy softener do it well?

I figure that I might get away with these reduced times because I have great pressure (I know the unit will restrict) and am dosing at such a low level. I figure worst case it doesn't work and I try a lower salt efficiency (re-figure everything again) and send Gary hate mail for being correct. Or I can bump up the BF setting to get me 7.5lbs and a 4,000 efficiency.

BTW; a 47 minute regen is kewl
    Last edited by ByteMe; 11-13-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Come on, no-one?

Anyone else try settings like this? I want to hear your experiences.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Salt settings are more than just grains per gallon. Water efficiencies, hardness leakage, time between regenerations, etc all have to be considered. Systems can be set to as low as 3 pounds of salt per cubic foot, but the water quality is usually below customers expectations. 4 pounds per cubic foot is the minimum most companies will do so as to maintain quality, and 6-8 pounds almost ensures near perfect quality. Below is a hardness leakage chart. With all this being said, if you are happy with the results and you are efficient, then it is all good!

My major problem is when companies set softeners to use 10-15 pounds of salt per cu. ft, this gets out of the reasonable efficiency range and ventures into unnecessary waste.
    Name:  capacity leakage.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  42.0 KB
    An article written by one of the best minds in this industry (Chubb Michaud) explains it far better than I ever could. It goes into a detailed analysis and reasoning behind maintaining truly soft water vs. slightly hard water. http://www.wcponline.com/pdf/1203Michaud.pdf

My system has a considerably longer regeneration time, approximately 105 minutes, but it is set to the exact application. It only regeenrates monthly at most, and the system is set with a smaller injector for various reasons that are not worth discussing here since it gets very wonky. I also run slightly longer backwash times since I am using KDF media as one of the filtration processes, this media loves to be backwashed regularly and aggresssively.
    Last edited by ditttohead; 11-14-2012 at 09:14 AM.

I used data from the SST60 data sheet which is similar to yours but "better".

Wonder what the chance is that the SST60 data is not really accurate.

SST-60 C-100

Leakage Leakage
    NaCl
    (#/CF) (ppm) (ppm)

2 2.1 3.7

3 1.3 2.1

4 0.9 1.4

5 0.7 1.2

6 0.6 1.1

7 0.5 0.9

8 0.4 0.8

9 0.35 0.7

10 0.3 0.6

12 0.2 0.5

15 0.1 0.4
    Last edited by ByteMe; 11-14-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hardness leakage is actually very comnplex, the charts are simple guidlines to help us understand the potential or likelihood of hardness leakage. Resin age, quality, fouling, flow rates, remaining capacity, etc. all have to be considered. For resideantial applications, most people are very happy with 10 PPM or less, commercial applications that require hardness <3ppm is where it gets exteremely complex, maintaining below this hardness requires considerabnly more expertise, fortunately this is not common and rarely an isue in residential sitiuations.

My recommendation, use standard resin numbers and capacities, use no less than 4 pounds of salt per cu. ft., and you will be fine.