Heat Pump-Air Handler question

Users who are viewing this thread

jfls49

Reaction score
I have a 12 year old Bryant Heat Pump, 10 Seer, 3.5 ton. The reversing valve is crap. Right now I am running the heat in Emergency mode (electric furnace) until I fix it.

Ive been on www.ingramsairandwater.com and located a 13 SEER 3.5 ton Goodman unit with matching air handler. My question: is it reasonable to go with same 3.5 ton system I had before without going to all the trouble to do a load calc on the house if I am getting the air handler with the variable speed fan? Wouldn't the variable fan speed settings allow me to program the desirable cfm moving through the house.

Thanks for any advice

Jfls45

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without running some calculations, it's impossible to say, but 3.5T would heat and cool a quite large house. In the summer, was the humidity level in the house comfortable? If it got cold, but it was still clammy, that's an indication that the unit is oversized. A variable speed air handler helps, but that can't overcome an oversized unit's short cycling if it is oversized.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks