Acrylic or fiberglass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jseward

Reaction score
Hi, remodeling the bathroom and putting in a new tub and surround. My questions:
1. Fiberglass or acrylic- which is best?
2. I've heard I have to "bed" the tub-is this true? What do I bed it with?
3. What material should I put behind the surround-greenboard good enough? Do I need a moisture barrier underneath the greenboard?

thanks much-John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I personally prefer acrylic over fiberglass. Bedding the tub means setting it in mortar. What you want is to support the bottom of the tub across the entire surface. It just feels much better, and it helps prevent flex and cracking of the surface. Most of the tubs (not all) have reinforcing ribs, and nothing inbetween. Filling those areas with mortar gives it firm support and helps prevent the flex damage.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the tub also plumbed for a shower? Green board is moisture resistant until it is nailed/screwed in place, then it leaks. Will this area be tiled or painted? If tiled, you'd be better off with cbu. Behind the cbu, you put up a vapor barrier (either tar paper or poly) on the studs. This board is great on plumbing issues, if you are going to tile, I suggest www.johnbridge.com for help.

Jseward

Reaction score
No tiling, going to put a tub/shower surround on 3 sides. So I assume greenboard is OK in that application. Also I assume no need for a vapor barrier, since supposedly the surround is waterproof?
John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks