(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Security for a laptop while traveling

  1. #1
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default Security for a laptop while traveling

    Lets say I want to travel....with my laptop. If I am on the road for a few weeks, I would need to do things like make ( and pay for) hotels and rent-a-cars, do some on line banking , etc.
    Is there any way to do this stuff in a secure manner, when internet access will be from free, unsecure wifi connections, such as at the hotel????

    What do folks do?????

  2. #2
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Lets say I want to travel....with my laptop. If I am on the road for a few weeks, I would need to do things like make ( and pay for) hotels and rent-a-cars, do some on line banking , etc.
    Is there any way to do this stuff in a secure manner, when internet access will be from free, unsecure wifi connections, such as at the hotel????

    What do folks do?????

    Unfortunately Jimbo there is no 100 % safe Wireless connection.

    What OS does your laptop have ?

    Do you have a Tunnel that you could use ?
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  3. #3
    DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NW Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    Do you have a Tunnel that you could use ?
    ...and trust?

    Wired can also be compromised.

    A VPN tunnel is your best bet. Does your home router have that capability?

    Here are a few google results:

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=travel+vpn

  4. #4
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    Unfortunately Jimbo there is no 100 % safe Wireless connection.

    What OS does your laptop have ?

    Do you have a Tunnel that you could use ?
    Windows 7 home premium. I run Nod32 a/v and use that firewall. I do have a wireless router at home. Use the desktop hardwired, and the laptops on the secure wireless.

    Logan Tunnel? Holland Tunnel????

    I am really trying to figure out if I can do secure computing somehow on the road.

  5. #5
    Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bothell, Washington
    Posts
    14,191
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    This is a good question.
    I remember a time in Hawaii when I used my credit card for a sailboat trip. The next day I had a $500 cash withdrawal taken from my account in Mexico.

    I was on the street, reading off my card number in what I know consider a shady part of Honolulu. It was the same street where I was walking back to the hotel and a payphone rang as we were walking by. Can you imagine what they were selling at that time of night?

  6. #6
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Windows 7 home premium. I run Nod32 a/v and use that firewall. I do have a wireless router at home. Use the desktop hardwired, and the laptops on the secure wireless.

    Logan Tunnel? Holland Tunnel????

    I am really trying to figure out if I can do secure computing somehow on the road.

    The WinForce Tunnel would be the best.

    You will be fine with that OS.

    I would turn off automatic updates so your computer don't crash when most needed. Windows updates have a way of helping when you don't want help.

    You may be better off using your smart phone , if it has Internet capability. Or a public library.

    Wireless can be hacked, and as mentioned wired can also , if you are going thru a unknown router.

    You can use your Windows Start/Run type "CMD" then type "Tracert 8.8.8.8" (or the IP of your choice) in the CMD window to find out your Network path.

    If you do not trust the path, then you can try something different.


    It is safest to stay home, in any case...
    Last edited by DonL; 11-10-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Similar Threads

  1. Recommend a laptop??
    By jimbo in forum Computers and Stuff
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-21-2013, 04:25 AM
  2. Recommendations for a laptop??
    By jimbo in forum Computers and Stuff
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-15-2012, 04:25 PM
  3. Security while on FaceBook
    By DonL in forum Computers and Stuff
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 06:19 PM
  4. preventing lightning from traveling up septic pipe
    By mauzbiz in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-07-2009, 12:53 PM
  5. can a bad mouse cord short-out a laptop?
    By maddog in forum Computers and Stuff
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-27-2008, 06:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •