(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to Purchase Toto Ultramax Toilet (CST853S)

I know I pre-thanked you, but THANKS! I picked up a C744EL-01 (C744SL) elongated ADA Drake with a 1.6 tank and a generic seat for $238, including tax. That's the exact same price as a Kohler at HD. The website says it's ADA height; not universal height. So, I hope it's not too tall. Josco is cool and non-judgmental towards DIY'rs. I'll be back.
    Okay, to hijack my own message:
    If my toilet flange is just floating up from the netherworld, should I stuff steel wool or something around it for roach or varmint control? The flange appears to be connected to a cast iron pipe that goes down into my foundation.
    Thanks again!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Normally, properly installed, a toilet flange is sitting on top of the finished floor (no gaps!) and anchored to the floor. With a CI flange, there's normally enough integrity where you can get by without it being fully supported on the edges, but if it is TOO high, the toilet won't sit flat on the floor and would rock on the flange. This can be a major problem. If the toilet does fit and sits flat during a dry fit (it might need a shim or two if your floor isn't perfectly flat, that's okay, but make sure to use them if needed!), then you could pack that gap with something like hydraulic cement, caulk, or your steel wool, if you like...
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Glad to hear the good feedback about Josco! That's a good price, and it's nice to hear again that they're nice folks. Thanks for letting us know about that!

As to the flange, I'm assuming that this is a replacement toilet; if the flange worked with the other one, it should work with this one, no worries. And as Jim says, stuff away! Of course, I would secure the toilet to the floor with a little bead of polyseamseal, and you can do that all the way around, depending on the requirements in your jurisdiction. That will help keep the varmints and vermin from heading out into your bathroom.

The Drake II universal height puts the lip of the bowl 16 1/8" off the floor. The Drake ADA height is 16 1/2". I don't think you will find that the 3/8" difference feels too high (or for what it's worth is even noticeable), so I think you made a good choice!!

Thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by mfellows View Post
    Thanks for the link. I was looking for it forever. Once you gave me the link I was able to go to the Toto home page and see "Where to buy".

---------------------------

Thanks for the info, guys. Today I was supposed to recieve a Kohler K-3811 online. Waited all day. Finally received an e-mail saying that it was broken in transit. I requested a refund and will look to picking up locally. (And the reason why I bought online? Kohler site only listed HD and Lowe's as places to buy- which they would have to special order. Well, heck, I could do the same thing and save $100. Guess I was wrong... )

I'm taking it as providence and will try to pickup a MS854114SL locally. Yes, even if I have to pay $100 extra. Staying home all day to receive a toilet is a waste of time.

Again,

Thanks.
    Last edited by Terry; 02-16-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Just as an aside, that Toto link doesn't list everything. I myself like the decidedly low-tech method: find that Yellow Pages and look under Plumbing Supply, and call around. Some of these places will be cheaper and nicer than others. If you call with the specific model number and color number you want, you will be able to get a direct answer on price. I just say something like, "Can you give me a price on a Toto toilet? I have the model and color number." "Sure, fire away." "Okay, it's CST744E, color #01". You will be surprised how much prices and service vary from plumbing supply place to place. Like many little businesses, some suck, some rock.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was sent some product to review, and waited two days.
    On the third day I call their distribution center to see if I could at least come pick it up.
    It was about 500 pounds on a pallet. I was there and back in 45 minutes, but heck, I had been waiting for days and scheduling my life around when they said it would be delivered and when it was really going to be delived. It's a good thing I have a cube van for my own deliveries.

Many delivery's expect the homeowner to be there to "accept" the damaged, I mean the product so you can sign for it as being okay. And then you can cart it inside. Truck drivers drop it at the curb. That's the main reason they want you there.
    It should be opened on the spot before signing. Yeah...........they don't like waiting around for that.