Toto Toilet Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

denverlynx

Reaction score
Hi:

I recently purchased this Toto toilet CST743S-01. The darn thing is giving me fits installing the tank. I can't get the tank to touch all three point on the bowl. It keeps hitting the back point and is maybe 1/4" from the front 2 points. I called their tech support. One guy said that is ok. Another said its not ok and try to soak the gasket in hot water and then have somebody push down on the tank while tightening.

I'm afraid in its current state if I crank down on it anymore the tank will break. This is my 3rd Toto toilet I've installed in the house. The other 2 didn't give me this many problems. I was hoping some others might have some tips for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Shawn

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you are tightening unevenly. You should tighten each nut just enough to move it a short distance and then switch to another so as to pull the tank evenly. There should never be a 1/4" difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As long as you tighten a little bit, side-to-side, so you're pulling it down evenly, you won't crack the tank until all three points are in contact with the bowl and you continue to tighten them. They don't need to actually all touch. Porcelain isn't elastic, but it quite strong - just don't try to bend it by continuing when the parts are in contact with each other. I'll tend to slip a thick piece of paper under there and stop when I just start to feel resistance to pulling it out without tearing it.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If it's hitting the back before the front, you're not starting with it vertical enough (or, more precisely, the plane of the bottom of the tank isn't starting parallel to the plane of the points of contact and/or isn't staying that way as you tighten). Have someone hold it vertical so that the distances start even and reduce evenly. Even with a double-nut system (which I assume you are using), it is possible to start pulling it in at an angle and that angle will just continue as you tighten. Hold it vertical (or so the two planes are parallel), and you'll be fine. Tighten one side a little bit, then the other, then check, repeat sequence). I have the same toilet and the 744S as well, and you just have to stand it up straight to get it to go down straight.

One other thought: check the bolt heads inside the tank (you know, the ones over the rubber washer that are secured on the bottom of the tank by a metal washer and the first nut), and make sure that they are in there squarely, and not pulling to one side. They shouldn't if they're nutted properly -- this is usually an issue when not using the double-nut system. But it's worth a look if it's giving you a hard time.

Last edited:

denverlynx

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I took off everything and started from scratch and reinstalled the tank. Paying attention to how it was lining up. I thought I had it until it got down to the last 1/4" and it hit the back point again. Well, I cranked one more time and busted the tank. Thoroughly frustrated I went back to the store to talk to them. I bought another set and put the bowl side by side. The rim on the bowl which would be right under the tank is irregular to the other that I brought home. The new one has a fairly consistent height all the way around except for the 3 points. The original drops really low after the points. I then put a flat surface on this rim so that it would touch all 3 points. The original bowl wasn't level from front to back. The back point is maybe 1/4" higher than the front 2 points. I did the same to the new bowl I had just purchased and it was level.

I'm stumped again. Is this a manufacturing defect or should I have been able to work around it? If its a defect, do I need to address this with toto or the dealer?

Thanks again!
Shawn

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
While Toto defects are very unusual, they can occur. I'm pretty sure you should start with the dealer and let him handle the problem.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yeah, when I called Toto about an issue on one of my toilets, the first thing the guy said was it might be a manufacturing issue; I don't think it was, but it was nice that they didn't run away from it but were ready to make it good. Sounds like you can show the difference to the dealer and/or Toto customer service, so I would definitely try to be in a position to where you only paid for one set.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks