Moen Posi-Temp Shower Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

ptim

Reaction score
Very much a noob here. I have a Moen shower faucet, that has an issue, when you turn the water on, start spinning right to left, going through cold water, then into hot, as it starts its fine, but when it gets half way, the water get slower coming out, and the handle kinda gets easier to turn, almost like it gets loose. I took the handle off, but not all the way, to the valve, the plastic parts look fine, could the valve be bad.

Plus its starting to leak.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most shower valves don't do just cold, but may get to all hot. So, you've got water coming through from both the hot and cold supplies but when you get closer to the hotter end, you start to shut off the cold. Using both supplies will produce more potential volume than just one (in this case the hot).

Towers Plumbing

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like a Moen positemp valve cart 1222. That cart has a ball that moves back and forth depending on pressure to keep the water at the same temperature. Overtime, if the valve is not used alot, the ball can stick. This creates the effect you are describing. Sometimes taking out the cartridge and slamming it on a counter top can break the ball free, then use a silicone spray to keep it lubed or you can call Moen and get a new cart.

moen1222.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

chopped

Reaction score
Not to Hi Jack this thread but I found it after posting mine.A quick question for me is there a NON temp valve replacemtn for this? Thanks..

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not to Hi Jack this thread but I found it after posting mine.A quick question for me is there a NON temp valve replacemtn for this? Thanks..
No. The Positemp was the improved version of the older non-pressure-balanced, "pull-out" Chateau. But NONE of the parts are not interchangeable and it would be a code violation to take out the posi and replace it with an old style valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks