Access to tub faucet - size of hole in drywall?

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
How big a hole do I need to cut behind the tub faucet to replace it? Want plenty of working room.

The valves are 24" above the floor, the spout about 19". 3 valve type with 8" spacing.

the big question is: How much above & below that should I allow to get to the unions, if present? I want to cut a single piece of drywall out so I can replace it easily.

Its in a closet so I can go large... stud indicator says there's a stud in the middle.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Getting to the unions is not the problem because they are right below the hot and cold stems. Piping to the new valve is where you may have problems. If you go below the tub spout, 6" above the hot and cold handles, and stud to stud, you should be fine.

AcidWater

Reaction score
Okey Dokey. Hopefully the replacement will fit the existing unions.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Okey Dokey. Hopefully the replacement will fit the existing unions.

That's not going to happen. Most new three valves, if you can find one no longer have unions. Even if they did they wouldn't fit the old ones.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They MIGHT fit if the new faucet is the same make as the old one, but even then they sometimes change the patterns to make them "lighter", (i.e., cheaper).

AcidWater

Reaction score
How do union joints differ? Are they brand proprietary?

Gotta cut the hole in the wall today...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks