Good quality 3 valve faucet (tub) thats easy to repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
Need to replace an Eljer. Standard 8" spacing. Want a brand that has a bibb seat which can be removed without hassle, and that I can get parts for easily. I'm told the Eljer might have been installed without being sweated in place; so I might have an easy time installing the new one. Have to cut open the wall to find out...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are very few of those left since they don't meet current code (which requires anti-scald technology). Depending on your local inspector, replacement often would require bringing things up to code, and this isn't. While there are some anti-scald add-ons that could be plumbed into it, it becomes a bit more complex, and it's cheaper to just use something that does meet code out of the box.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Best one...of the very few still made....is Price Pfister. ( Actually known today as Pfister Faucets). It is still available as compression function ( with bibb washer and seats) but a better choice is the ceramic stem version. They use the same trim. Your choice of trims will be limited...dont look for venetian bronze! but parts will be available for your lifetime!

I can't say for sure that the union on your eljer will match up. Most likely you will have one union piece soldered to the pipe ( unless your plumbing is galv.) so you can unsweat that and replace with the new one if needed.

Last edited:

AcidWater

Reaction score
Access to tub faucet - size of hole in drywall?

How big a hole do I need to cut behind the tub faucet to replace it? Want plenty of working room. The valves are 24" above the floor, the spout about 19". 3 valve type with 8" spacing. Its in a closet so I can go large... stud indicator says there's a stud in the middle...

AcidWater

Reaction score
Something funky with the editor -- the big question is

How much above & below that should I allow to get to the unions, if present?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks