(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Third party 3" flush valves

  1. #1
    Retired Machine Repairman wptski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    137

    Default Third party 3" flush valves

    I was looking into 3" flush valve other OEMs.

    There is a Fluid Master 540AKR but I wondered about the Korky line. I found nothing other than a 3" flapper so I emailed CS. They said that they have a 5030 carried by True Value Hardware and gave me a SKU number. No product or SKU at True Value Hardware's site and in fact there no 5030 at the the Korky site either.

    Could hardly find it by Googling which is actually a 5030BP.

    Why is it so hard to find? Are 3" flush valves so new to the industry that nobody stocks them yet?
    Last edited by Terry; 11-09-2012 at 07:30 PM.

  2. #2
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    21,448

    Default

    What toilet is this for? Most of the Toto line uses a 3" flush valve (made for them by Korky), and other toilet manufacturers use them as well. It shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement, but to work right, it should be designed for the specific toilet.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  3. #3
    DIY Senior Member wjcandee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,599

    Default

    I don't know why it's not widely-distributed yet. There are a number of sites online that carry the 5030. There was another 3rd party 3" flush valve, but it seemed to have a 3" base and a 2" mouth, making it essentially-useless in my view. I guess that while people are currently needing to replace 3" flappers, they aren't to the point that they really need to replace the whole valve. Just a guess. I emailed Korky CS about why they don't even list the product on their web site. We'll see what they say.

    Good find.

  4. #4
    DIY Senior Member wjcandee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,599

    Default

    Jim, Korky makes a lot of "universal" 2" flush valves, and even the Toto probably could take such a valve if someone made one; after all, it's just filling a hole in the china. True that a dual-flush and now for example the 1G use some funky looking flush valves (not to mention the Champion), but the Toto generally uses a basic flush valve like any other, albeit a 3" one. Put in the right flapper, and voila! I have used the Korky universal 2" flush valve on a number of toilets and it works like a champ. I like the wider overflow riser and the fact that you just twist to lock and unlock the adjustable height of the overflow riser, with no cutting required.

  5. #5
    Retired Machine Repairman wptski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    What toilet is this for? Most of the Toto line uses a 3" flush valve (made for them by Korky), and other toilet manufacturers use them as well. It shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement, but to work right, it should be designed for the specific toilet.
    Well, in another thread, I have a newly installed AS Cadet 3 with a tank leak from the flush valve. Suggestions have slowed the leak but it still leaks. Home Depot is sending another tank.

    I don't really know where this is going to lead to so I was just looking into other flush valves.

    I looked at a Fluid Master at HD and its seal isn't just flat but has two ribs on its sealing surface.

  6. #6
    Retired Machine Repairman wptski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    Jim, Korky makes a lot of "universal" 2" flush valves, and even the Toto probably could take such a valve if someone made one; after all, it's just filling a hole in the china. True that a dual-flush and now for example the 1G use some funky looking flush valves (not to mention the Champion), but the Toto generally uses a basic flush valve like any other, albeit a 3" one. Put in the right flapper, and voila! I have used the Korky universal 2" flush valve on a number of toilets and it works like a champ. I like the wider overflow riser and the fact that you just twist to lock and unlock the adjustable height of the overflow riser, with no cutting required.
    I've read where one had it leak at the adjustment point on the overflow pipe.

    I think my old toilet was leaking at the adjustment point on the fill valve pipe.
    Last edited by wptski; 11-06-2012 at 06:35 PM.

  7. #7
    DIY Senior Member SamC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Both Korky and Fluidmaster make adjustable replacement 3 inch flappers with instructions on where to set the adjustment for particular brands and models.

    Name:  fluidmaster_5403..jpg
Views: 246
Size:  6.5 KBName:  korkyflapper3060bp.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  13.1 KB

  8. #8
    Retired Machine Repairman wptski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    Both Korky and Fluidmaster make adjustable replacement 3 inch flappers with instructions on where to set the adjustment for particular brands and models.
    I don't have flush problem, it works great in that respect. I have a flush valve seal at the tank leak.

    I think that my second tank is being shipped from Mexico! HD actually suggest removing and returning the whole toilet as that would be faster than just ordering a replacement tank. I told them that was out of the question.

    Luckily my leak is small and some rolled up paper toweling turned end for end once or so a day works. It appears to be slowing down even more unless I'm mistaken.
    Bill
    Retired Machine Repairman
    Just a DIY'r

  9. #9
    Retired Machine Repairman wptski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    I don't know why it's not widely-distributed yet. There are a number of sites online that carry the 5030. There was another 3rd party 3" flush valve, but it seemed to have a 3" base and a 2" mouth, making it essentially-useless in my view. I guess that while people are currently needing to replace 3" flappers, they aren't to the point that they really need to replace the whole valve. Just a guess. I emailed Korky CS about why they don't even list the product on their web site. We'll see what they say.

    Good find.
    It appears that either/both of us contacting them caused them to update their site to include the 5030BP now.

    Interesting! Their 5030BP instructions state to measure the flush valve hole in then tank and if it's over a certain size, you add a "O" ring to fill the gap.
    Last edited by wptski; 11-08-2012 at 05:43 AM.
    Bill
    Retired Machine Repairman
    Just a DIY'r

  10. #10
    Retired Machine Repairman wptski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    137

    Default

    I just read a comment by someone who purchased a 540AKR. They stated that throat on the OEM AS Cadet 3 was 3.25" but the 540AKR was only 2.8"! I wonder what the throat size of the 5030BP is?
    Last edited by Terry; 11-09-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    Bill
    Retired Machine Repairman
    Just a DIY'r

  11. #11
    DIY Senior Member wjcandee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,599

    Default

    I got a nice email from Korky about that valve. They are trying to get more sources to carry it; I guess it takes time. I looked at the instructions as well, and it reminded me how hard a manufacturer has to work to try to make a "universal" product. Turns out that some manufacturers make bigger holes in the china for their 3" flush valves than do others. I also note that the thing won't work on the Kohlers with the slightly-bigger-than-3" flush valve, which I guess was designed so you have to buy an OEM flapper, or at least forces Korky to make a flapper just for that product, which they do.
    Last edited by Terry; 11-09-2012 at 07:31 PM.

  12. #12
    Retired Machine Repairman wptski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    I got a nice email from Korky about that valve. They are trying to get more sources to carry it; I guess it takes time. I looked at the instructions as well, and it reminded me how hard a manufacturer has to work to try to make a "universal" product. Turns out that some manufacturers make bigger holes in the china for their 3" flush valves than do others. I also note that the thing won't work on the Kohlers with the slightly-bigger-than-3" flush valve, which I guess was designed so you have to buy an OEM flapper, or at least forces Korky to make a flapper just for that product, which they do.
    It wasn't a URL to the site, I just mention that I could only find the 5030BP online at two places, one being a plumbing supply and the other well site that we all know.

    Funny that they believe that it's carried at True Value Hardware, having the SKU# and all but the truth is that it's not listed there.

    Any comment about the true throat sizes of so-called 3" flush valves.

    BTW: The replacement tank I thought I was waiting on from HD, isn't! After waiting a week, I double checked since they've messed up so much before. They have some kind-of 50% rule on a order. I'd have to return the whole toilet. They offered some kind-of 10% discount. I got sooooo mad I hung up on them. I cooled down a bit and called back, wanting to talk to a manager, etc. Got a different person and spent some time with them. The first person didn't explain what they meant about the 10% discount on a second toilet. I purchase a second toilet, swap the tank and return that order. The second person offered a 20% discount. I return the toilet using the original order number and pocket the extra 20%. Depending if I return it or have UPS pick it up determines how fast I get the money back. Still some very dumb rules if you ask me.
    Last edited by Terry; 11-09-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    Bill
    Retired Machine Repairman
    Just a DIY'r

  13. #13
    Retired Machine Repairman wptski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    137

    Default

    What about so-called 3" flush valves where the throat is less than that when the stock one is over 3"?
    Last edited by Terry; 11-09-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    Bill
    Retired Machine Repairman
    Just a DIY'r

  14. #14
    Retired Machine Repairman wptski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    137

    Default

    No comments about apparent differences in so-called 3" flush valve. This is supposed to be a future standard in the industry, IIRC.

    I haven't looked inside my AS Cadet 3 tank for sometime but I just discovered that it's marked as a Fluidmaster 540 somewhat similiar to the 540AKR. One difference is the seal, the OEM is flat whereas the AKR has rib(s) on the sealing surface. I wonder if it has a undersized 3" throat also?

    What's used in the Toto? What's used as a Toto replacement if needed, Korky or Fluidmaster?
    Bill
    Retired Machine Repairman
    Just a DIY'r

  15. #15
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    21,448

    Default

    Toto (at least in the USA) uses rebranded Korky stuff for the most part. You can buy the same thing at Lowes and many other sources, but it will say Korky for Toto rather than being labeled Toto.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Similar Threads

  1. Why I like Mansfield Flush Valves.
    By boyntonstu in forum Toilet Forum discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 01:31 PM
  2. Question about sticky "Submersible Pumps and multiple check valves?"
    By Gabe1 in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2011, 02:56 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 06:44 PM
  4. I hate shower diverter "valves"
    By Fubar411 in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 06:43 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 07:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •