Gas line size

Users who are viewing this thread

rsten

Reaction score
My house currently has a gas furnace, water heater, and clothes dryer. I would like to add a gas kitchen range. The drawing below shows the proposed piping layout. Segments AB, BH, HF, and HG are existing 3/4" black pipe. Right now, before adding the range, Segment BD is 1/2" CSST. I am considering installing a tee fitting at point C, replacing Segment BC with 3/4" CSST, and running 1/2" CSST to the new range. Segment CD would remain 1/2" CSST.

The distance from the meter, point A, to the farthest appliance, point D, is 41 feet. The total demand from all appliances is 227 CF/HR. From reading some sizing tables I gather that the pipe for Segment AB ought to be at least 1" diameter. I don't want to replace it right now, however, because the entire plumbing system is going to be redone next summer as part of a major remodeling; replacing that section of pipe would be a lot of work that would be nullified in a few months. I would prefer to wait to install the new range as part of the remodeling, too, but our existing electric range is dying right now and I'd rather not pay to have it repaired.

My question: what would be the potential consequences of leaving the undersized pipe at Segment AB? Let's say that the furnace and water heater are both running, there's a load of clothes in the dryer, the oven is at 450 degrees, and four burners are lit. There won't be enough capacity in gas line. How will the various appliances respond? Is there a potential safety hazard? Is the situation manageable if we just pay attention to how much demand we're placing on the system at any given time, and cut back as necessary?

Thank you.

Ray

Gas line sketch.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Gas pipe sizing is one part of it...is your gas meter and main line regulator capable of supplying the desired peak load as well? The pipe run distance and number of elbows can make a big difference and it's the 'effective' length that's important - each elbow increases the effective length of a run.

godsplumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Great drawing just like in school 20 years ago. Here in my town, we have to stay with 3/4" all the way to the range, even though the cfh would dictate 1/2" is ok. In your case you could run 171 cfh with 3/4 at 40 feet. I would also say you could manage your demand and be ok waiting to up size in the months to come. Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner is an example of potential demand issues with showers, dryer, cold weather,mushroom gravy, steamed green beans, on the burners and oven all going. Try to celebrate at friends home (he-he). Best to you.
(I think I'm hungry)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The gas sizing tables refer to things in an ideal world. As a practical matter, you will have no problem with the system as you intend to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks