Connecting to outside sewer line

Users who are viewing this thread

hoopers2

Reaction score
Hello,

I am adding a 2nd story powder room with a toilet and sink to my existing town-home.

I am draining the two fixtures with a 3 inch line. The drain line runs down an exterior wall (on the inside of it), and then exits just above ground level. From that point, it is about a 7 foot run to my outside, 3 inch cleanout.

Not sure how the cleanout line is tied into the horizontal exit line below.

Can I "T" into this vertical cleanout line?

Or must I dig down to the horizontal line that the "vertical cleanout line" connects into? If I have to T into the lower horizontal line, what is the best way to do this? One of those rubber connecting T's or something better?

Thank you.

hhplumbing

Reaction score
Website
www.householdplumbing.com
hello,

yes you can tie into the verticle line, but you will have to use 45 degree fittings insted of 90 degrees elbows. and try and get it in the ground as soon as you exit the building

plumbing.jpg

hope this helps

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A horizontal waste line can enter a vertical with a Santee fitting.

If you were dropping down to the horizontal line, that would require a wye fitting.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
HEre, you CANNOT connect a drain to a cleanout riser. But the type of cleanout fitting in the ground would determine whether it would be a good idea for you to do it even if it were permitted. IF it is a "two way" cleanout fitting" then you CANNOT connect to it. If it is a "Y" or combo then it will work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks