flooring

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
I am thinking about replacing the kitchen flooring. Can I lay tile or vinyl over lineoulm? If so, what preparations would be necessary before the actual laying? Thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Usually, they lay 1/4" luan, then fill all of the joints and nail holes so it is a nice smooth, clean, unwaxed surface to attach the vinal to. Then, make a template, cut the stuff and glue it down. Depending on the type, it may only get glued at the edges and seams.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Luan chips a lot if you don't use a sharp blade, preferably one with fine teeth, course that makes it a little longer to make the cut. Also, it is harder to make a straight cut with a handsaw. The idea of putting this stuff down prior to the new vinal is to make sure you get a nice clean and flat surface. Any imperfections need to be filled in or patched, or they will show through the relatively soft vinal. Fine furniture has been made for centuries with hand tools...laying luan for a new vinal floor isn't fine furniture.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
luan

The floor covering men that I associated with always used a spackling to fill seams on luan.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
In the past I have cut luan with a sharp utility knife, 3-4 passes up against a straight edge with good downward pressure and thats it. Slices right through like butter. I repeat sharp blade.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cookie, You said "Tile or vinyl" DO NOT USE LUAN if you are going to lay ceramic tile. The mortars and glues for ceramic will not make a good bond with the luan.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can lay vinyl tile over embossed vinyl. You have to use a leveling material to fill in the embossing and make the surface smooth. This leveling material is sold where ever vinyl tile is sold. I've never done it, but it appears to be a fairly straight forward job. The main drawback I see is that the floor will be about 1/8" higher than it was so adjoining floors won't match. Could require some close fitting doors to be trimmed, but that isn't very difficult to do.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
Cal said:
Cookie, You said "Tile or vinyl" DO NOT USE LUAN if you are going to lay ceramic tile. The mortars and glues for ceramic will not make a good bond with the luan.

My understanding is Luan is not approved for underpayment of any kind and will void your flooring warranty. While it is great stuff to work with I would not use it under a floor. Use plywood rated for under layment if you must cover your old flooring. It may not be needed though. It depends on what kind of shape your floor is in now and what the new product says it will stick to.

Tygon

Reaction score
I had never heard about luan not being okay for vinyl underlayment.

But DO NOT use luan if you are thinking of EVER doing a ceramic floor. I can attest that ceramic tile will not stick to it. Even going over it with cement board, the thinset between will not stick and serves only as a filler at best.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Depends on the product as to lauan.

We had planed a kitchen floor around one vinyl product, and installed plywood. We then changed our mind to another manufacturer's product. Had to either cover the plywood or pull it up and replace it with lauan. Ended up pulling the plywood and laying lauan.

Paul

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks