where did you get fittings for PE pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

tikicarver

Reaction score
I am replacing a main water line with 1 inch PE pipe.
I have looked in several stores for fittings and all i can find are the steel fittings below.
And all they have are the standard hose clamps, like the ones in cars to hold them on.

The PE pipe is pretty stiff and I'm wondering if the hose clamps will work.
Are there some other kind of fittings to use on PE pipe?
If so, where do you buy them? any online sources?

IMAG0293.jpg

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have to warm the pipe before you insert the fitting. Two opposed clamps should be used as well.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Steel and water on a long-term basis is a disaster waiting to happen...they will rust, it's just a question of time. Why risk it?

tikicarver

Reaction score
yeh, don';t want to use steeel, but so far that is al i can find in the the local stores.

Lowes did have some brass fittings, but the barbed part that goes into the pipe was pretty short, it would not allow the use of two clamps.
The one in the photo above is long enough but it is steel.

there is a Ferguson about a hour drive from me I can go there. Anyone know of an online supplier?

also what is the preferred way to heat the pipe?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Heat gun but 99% of use a torch.......carefully. You can get the same barbed fittings in Nylon too which will not rust but you need to be careful not to over tighten the clamps

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I buy stainless steel ones from Grainger.
If you have a local well drilling company, they would also be likely to have them.

hhplumbing

Reaction score
Website
www.householdplumbing.com
If your dealing with PE, mostly we use Philmac compression fittings. Very easy to use and it's rated for underground use. note: If philmac is not sold in your area, sharkbite is rated for underground but its not the first product I buy. try and find a similar compression fitting like Philmac.

tikicarver

Reaction score
If your dealing with PE, mostly we use Philmac compression fittings. Very easy to use and it's rated for underground use. note: If philmac is not sold in your area, sharkbite is rated for underground but its not the first product I buy. try and find a similar compression fitting like Philmac.

I found these guys. they said they have a distributor in my area.
http://www.floplastfits.com/products.html

Now i have to see if they will sell to a DIY guy.

tikicarver

Reaction score
I was able to buy the compression fittings.
These fittings are 100% better than using a barb fitting.
Plus they cost less, only $6.50 each.
DSCN4231.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Normally when working with PE one buys a big enough reel so that only one length of pipe is required for the job. This eliminates the need for any buried fittings. I don't trust plastic pipe fittings, especially threaded fittings, but have never had an issue with the stainless steel ones which are readily available.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is no way that that fitting is better than a barb fitting and no way I would put it underground either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks