(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Hydro Pneumatic Tank, Low Water Pressure

Default Hydro Pneumatic Tank, Low Water Pressure

After suffering through a weeks worth of showers with dismal water pressure I have finally investigated some and need guidance. When no water is running the pressure gauge on the tank reads 45 ( I seem to remember it normally being at 60psi). Turn on a faucet, the pressure drops to 40 and the pump turns on. Pressure rises back to 60, the pump stops and the pressures starts dropping to 40 and the cycle begins again. FYI this is a hydro pneumatic tank and is approximately 6 yrs old. I read the helpful sticky on pressure tanks but I want to make sure I'm on the right track before I go and tinker with things. Any advice on what the problem might be or how to fix it is appreciated.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

From what you say it sounds like the pressure switch is set to turn on at 40 and off at 60. The pressure would only stay at 60 if you stop using water before the pump turns off. If you draw water after the pump turned off, the pressure will drop. If you use enough water for it to drop to 40, the pump starts up and so the cycles go.

So far you have not described anything that would suggest "dismal water pressure", only normal operation.

Hmmm. Normally I have great water pressure and it has definitely decressed so I wonder what is causing it. We are on a slab so I'm not sure how to check for leaks in the pipes.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

If you had a leak, your pump would be cycling without any water use.

Well that is good news! No leaks! I will keep poking around. I remembered that the other shower had this problem once and it involved a clog in the shower valve. When I have a moment I will see if I can take it apart, investigate, and report back. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliz1 View Post
    Well that is good news! No leaks! I will keep poking around. I remembered that the other shower had this problem once and it involved a clog in the shower valve. When I have a moment I will see if I can take it apart, investigate, and report back. Thanks for your help.
    do you have any filter housings anywhere?

Hi bcpumpguy,

We do have a very simple filter attached to catch silt and I have taken it off and cleaned it. I might be over stating it when I say dismal water pressure. It is just less than normal. I haven't taken apart the shower valve yet as I haven't had time. But I suspect this isn't my problem since the lack of water was more pronounced in the shower that had that issue. I am really puzzled by the pressure gauge on the tank being at 45 psi since I am almost positive that it normally idled at 60 psi.