(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Are Toilet Bowl Cleaner Tabs Safe to use with Toto Toilets?

Default Are Toilet Bowl Cleaner Tabs Safe to use with Toto Toilets?

I was wondering how safe these various cleaning tabs are with the Toto toilets and any impact they may have on deteriorating the sanagloss finish or the rubber seals.

Dan

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Any chlorine damages rubber. That's true for all brands.

I have used liquid bowl cleaners for the Sanagloss though. The one downstairs is six years and counting. It still looks new.

Any clorinated / chemically treated tabs sitting in the tank of the toilet will destroy your flapper fairly quickly.

There are a couple of products that add a chlorine cartridge in the refill tube, running the chlorine down the overflow, rather than having it contact the tank parts. The priming jet at the bottom of the bowl on older toilet designs branched off the front of the rim, so the incoming water flowed completely around the rim before reaching the priming jet at the bottom. In that case chlorine trickling down the overflow would reach all the rim holes before getting to the priming jet. However, most low-flow designs with a priming jet have it plumbed directly with a tube or tubes, visible on the outside of the bowl. In that case, most of the chlorine from the overflow goes directly to the priming jet, bypassing the rim jets, and allowing the scuz to accumulate.
    Last edited by SamC; 11-14-2012 at 10:07 AM.

DIY Junior Member Lori Herbon Putnam's Avatar

Okay, I might not be doing this posting right as I'm new to this, but here goes....
    JUST got the Toto Ultra Max II installed in our almost-finished remodeled bathroom (10 weeks and counting, but at least we can move back in and start using it as of yesterday), and I can't really find info on what to use to clean it in future. No abrasives, no bleach, no in-tank stuff....but come on, can I really just use "mild dish soap" and feel that the inside of the bowl will be clean enough?? What CAN I use? When you say "liquid bowl cleaners", what are you using that won't have chlorine bleach in it? And how to disinfect the seat/handle? Thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Any chlorine damages rubber. That's true for all brands.

I have used liquid bowl cleaners for the Sanagloss though. The one downstairs is six years and counting. It still looks new.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

There is nothing wrong with using the chlorine products to clean the bowl. It is the rubber parts in the tank that you want to keep it away from.

For what it's worth, "mild dish soap" will get a toilet PLENTY clean, odor-free and relatively germ-free.

Just like when you wash yourself with regular old soap, you get your body clean, odor-free and relatively germ-free. No need to give yourself a bath in bleach to be clean (indeed, that could kill you).

To eliminate transmission of the flu virus, norovirus,, etc., experts don't tell us to use antibacterial soap -- indeed they often mock it -- but say to wash hands regularly with plain old soap and water.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Sanagloss is quite smooth which means that stuff has lots of trouble getting a good hold on it - IOW, it brushes off easily, if it doesn't wash off during the flush. Only if it dries on is it harder to get off. Often, just a swish of the brush takes care of most of it. As said, the bigger thing is NO chlorine in the tank, as the rubber parts will die an early death.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I have 2 Toto toilets. One is in daily use, the other is used occasionally. Neither toilet has Sanigloss, but we still have little problem with bowl wash. Perhaps a couple of times a month my wife will use a liquid bowl cleaner, but I'm not convinced it is really necessary. Main thing on cleaning is not to put anything in the tank, and don't use an abrasive cleaner on a Sanigloss bowl.

These toilets are so easy to clean, you don't need stuff.
    A blue Scotch scruby and do it once a week. If you have lime deposits Toto says CLR or vinegar.

I believe the Scotch scrubby would be a No-No on the Sanagloss. I also think people are often paranoid about cleaning their toilet bowl. You are not going to eat off of it. Sure, you don't want spots of feces or stains left, but an occasional shot of liquid bowl cleaner then a quick brushing work just fine even without Sanagloss.