Return of sewer smell

Users who are viewing this thread

ncmg

Reaction score
Two months ago I replaced the wax ring on a toilet due to a strong sewer smel. The odor went away immediately. However it is now back! Any ideas on why? I don't see any cracks in the porcelain, there is no apparent water leaking and the toilet functions properly. The toilet is late '80s and I replaced the ring with an Oatley reinforced standard size (flange is slightly above floor level). Thank you for any input!!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Could be a lot of reasons but one is if the toilet is rocking or otherwise moving, the wax seal could be breached. It doesn't snap back into place, so if it was the seal last time, it may be the seal this time. Simplest explanation first. If the toilet is rock-solid, then maybe something else.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks