(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Superstorm Sandy

Default Superstorm Sandy

UH-OH, she's almost here on Long Island. A very NASTY, NASTY storm.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How are you guys doing on the East Coast right now?
    I have relatives in Brooklyn NY and Arlington VA

I have a brother in Richmond VA and one who is 1/2 way between Baltimore and DC. Both were without power for a week or so after Irene, and expect similar in this case. They both have big trees in the yard, but dodged any damage to the houses that time. Looks like the worst of this one will be Delaware and north.

Lots of Wind, Lots of rain. Power went off briefly for a few minutes several times. 250,000 people on Long Island have no power right now, and the "Storm" is just about to make landfall in a few minutes. Low lying sections of Brooklyn, like Coney Island, etc. are in danger. All major NY Bridges were supposed to have closes at 4pm. Look at www.newsday.com for more info. To see current power outages on Long Island, you can look at http://www.lipower.org/stormcenter/outagemap.html to get an idea if you'd like.

As far as Virginia, I'm not sure, but DC has issued major warnings

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t1#...bama-sandy.cnn
    Last edited by BobL43; 10-29-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My brother works in DC.
    He Facebooked that they last power for a little bit.

www.freakingnews.com
    It's getting windy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 10-29-2012 at 05:34 PM.

no power now for 4 hours running this on UPS. Generator tomorrow.Almost 700,00 Long Islanders no power now :-(

My son was in Maryland and was evacuated. He is back home safe and sound. We lost power but, it came back on within an hour. Bob, take care there.

I am watching the NBC news special, and it amazes me, simply amazes me that people would not leave their houses, because they did not want to lose their house. Amazing. They would rather lose their life. And, I got cancer. I know that may not make sense to some of you reading this, but, I guess, unless, you are really challenged in fighting for your life, you have no idea how much it is worth. Everything! Walk, or run away, with your life. You can fix the house, replace the house, the car, whatever, but, their is only one of you. Much to some of my realtives chagrin, lol. I am here, until, I am 108.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I am watching the NBC news special, and it amazes me, simply amazes me that people would not leave their houses, because they did not want to lose their house. Amazing. They would rather lose their life. And, I got cancer. I know that may not make sense to some of you reading this, but, I guess, unless, you are really challenged in fighting for your life, you have no idea how much it is worth. Everything! Walk, or run away, with your life. You can fix the house, replace the house, the car, whatever, but, their is only one of you. Much to some of my realtives chagrin, lol. I am here, until, I am 108.
    Power just came back on, but trees are down all over the place. No damage to my house, big relief!

Cookie, you are actually right, but the reason most people do not evacuate their houses is not because the have doubt about the severity of damage, but because of the fair of the low-life scum sucking thieves that will take anything they can steal from them. It really sucks big time.
    Please, you hang around until at least 108 to show those relatives of yours

Glad, really, to see you are safe and sound. We got weak trees, too! I got loads of firewood, but, no fireplace. So, I stack it up front and let others take it.

On that special, a woman said, she wasn't going to leave her house due to she got lots of provisions; a generator, gasoline, and a boat in her livingroom.

No sense in staying to defend whatever, could be stolen, when, the loss could be much greater, your life. You can't take it with you. And, a boat in a hurricane? Nah... that won't work well. Neither will swimming.

I take great pride in succeeding in annoyance, stubborness,quirkness and, will outlast, outlive, the healthiest.
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-31-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Glad, really, to see you are safe and sound. We got weak trees, too! I got loads of firewood, but, no fireplace. So, I stack it up front and let others take it.

On that special, a woman said, she wasn't going to leave her house due to she got lots of provisions; a generator, gasoline, and a boat in her livingroom.
    These people did not have to worry about looters:
    http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...rld&id=8868001

Very sad

Terrible. I have a fireproof box where I have my insurance papers, marriage license, birth certificates, and certain pictures I would want not to be destroyed.

Last Christmas I got my son one. It's a thoughtful present for your loved ones, if they don't have one.
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-31-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Interesting that he was recording this while it happened (15 miles from me)

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#...-weinschreider

Close call Bob. That is one big tree. Did they find any bones under that tree? Like the one in Conn.

I had one 90 footer, and one 70 footer, both in the back area of my property, both pine, cut down a few years back. Directly, next to my house another large pine, about 60 ft, cut down. I try to manage the trees, thinking ahead of microbursts, storms, and tornadoes. I got 3 to go.

I think I anger the birds, because, they take it out on my car. I drive a poop mobile.
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-31-2012 at 04:14 PM.