Pipe clogged - weird going down

Users who are viewing this thread

milo

Reaction score
Hi everybody! It's a 1 story home, no cellar, old iron pipes. There was a hole with a leak,in a pipe in the outside wall, which I patched and it's not leaking anymore (opened the outside wall and just patched the hole. this only leaked when the washing machine ( not a new one) was pumping out the water. After the hole was closed, the water comes back up in the kitchen sinks when the washing machine pumps the water out, which are above the former leak. First you can hear it bubbling a bit, then it comes up about 1/2 inch in the sink, stalls for 2 sec and the drains out just fine. Smells bad and the water isn't clear with bits of stuff in it. No other back ups in the house. And there's no water backing out where the washing machine hose is stuck in the drain pipe.Is that a regular clog and I need to get someone to clean the vent?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The washing machine pumps out many gallons of water very quickly, which can easily overload a pipe which is partially restricted. It's time to start snaking the line and seeing if it can be cleared.

I am concerned with what you call a "patch", as there is no good way to patch a hole in a pipe. If a pipe has a hole in it, the entire section of pipe might be going bad and should be replaced. If the pipe has more holes in it, it could be collapsed and just draining into the ground, which can seem similar to a regular clog to the user in the home.

milo

Reaction score
I know that the "patch" will have to be replaced, it's at a big joint, looks like a big job. I'm just wondering about the way the water comes up, and then drains fast, I would expect a clogged pipe to drain the water slowly, but this one doesn't. It comes up, stalls and goes down fast.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks