Moen shower faucet started to drip

Users who are viewing this thread

piezomot

Reaction score
Questions to an expert.

My Moen shower faucet started to drip. It was installed 5 years ago. Please see enclosed picture. New Moen faucet the same one I have installed is shown on the right and the new is cartridge 1222B is shown on the left.

HD would supply free cartridge with lubricant, this is the third cartridge 1222B I have changed so far in this faucet since it was installed. But it will continue to drip a bit, even I lubricated it with enclosed lubricant. Then I went back to HD and got another one installed- the same problem.

I am just wondering how this copper faucet could be worn out if cartridge is made from plastic? What else could it be?

Also I notices some debris in shower water was present. This was very unusual, my neighbor was doing house renovation. I refer to this post-

"...These Moen cartridges are very sensitive to foreign debris, so its very likely that the new cartridge may have been damaged in the install process..."
https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...-shower-faucet&p=238479&viewfull=1#post238479

If this is the case, how can I clean this 1222B cartridge inside?

P just googled similar problem here could it be lubrication issue or new cartridge design issue?-

"...I got a new replacement cartridge from Moen and it came in a plastic bag with a part number of 1222 B on it. It looks similar to the original cartridge however it does not have a second "O" ring at the rear of the cartridge. Also, the large flat rubber gaskets(?) on the sides are smaller than the original. I put it in and turned on the water and it worked. Except that it would not completely turn off. There's a constant trickle now from the faucet. No matter what I've tried, it will not completely stop. I have tried to turn the brass stem to every possible position to see if that would help but no matter what I try, it still trickles.
Any ideas?
Keats Arizona..."

PA274600_moen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can flush by turning the water back on briefly with the cartridge removed. Clean with a soft cloth poked with a soft wooden stick.
The cartridge with the extra o-ring at the nose is usually aftermarket, not oem, and they are troublesome.

moen-1222hd-1.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If there is a scratch or burr on the inside of the housing, it can prevent the cartridge from properly sealing and/or damage the cartridge's sealing surfaces. I use a hone to clean and polish the inside of the valve , and then thoroughly flush the housing before lubricating and installing a new cartridge.

piezomot

Reaction score
My problem was resolved, the lubricant supplied with the cartridge (see the picture below) is very thin, I removed the cartridge and added the plumbing silicon grease, it has higher viscosity, also I lubricated under black rubber gaskets and all wholes in the cartridge too. Plus I added this silicon grease inside the faucet a bit. This solved my original problem. Thank you for all your help.

PA284601sm.jpg

piezomot

Reaction score
When I replace Moen cartridges, I remove them from their package and push them into the valve body, and I am done, with no leaks.

I am not a plumber, but even with my little experience, I noticed that Moen 1222 B cartridge sold lubrication, and if it is used like this it will not rotate freely inside the faucet.

IMG_9427.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks