(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Sporadic Rumble in Pipes

Hybrid View

Default Sporadic Rumble in Pipes

About a week or so ago I started hearing a rumble in the pipes downstairs. It lasts about 10-15 seconds. I've narrowed the noise down to what used to be the laundry room. There are two narrow pipes coming from the wall that feed hot and cold water to an old sink, but they haven't been used in years. About a month ago, construction up the street led to someone shutting off the water without notifying everyone. When I got home I flushed the toilet and there was a loud noise and water sprayed up from the tank. I shut off the tap and went to talk to my neighbours. Long story short, I turned on all the taps in the house to release the pressure, all but the one in the basement, which I forgot about. Then last week the noise started. When I opened the taps downstairs today, there was a little spitting, but not much. I noticed the flow of hot water was stronger than the cold water.

The noise is not constant. Today it happened once in the morning and again after 9pm. It doesn't appear to be connected to regular water usage.

Any ideas?

Cap

Sounds like air in the pipes. It should all eventually go away. You could accelerate the process by repeatedly
    bleeding the air out of all your water outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by kreemoweet View Post
    Sounds like air in the pipes. It should all eventually go away. You could accelerate the process by repeatedly
    bleeding the air out of all your water outlets.
    How? Do I shut off the main and open all the faucets in the house?

Cap
    Last edited by Cap; 10-28-2012 at 03:24 AM.

It is NOT air in the pipes, but we cannot tell you what it is without being there to hear it and see when it happens. Sometimes a faulty toilet fill valve will cause "weird noises" somewhere else in the building.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    It is NOT air in the pipes, but we cannot tell you what it is without being there to hear it and see when it happens. Sometimes a faulty toilet fill valve will cause "weird noises" somewhere else in the building.
    It hasn't happened yet today. It usually happens between 8:30 and 9:30 pm. But not every day. It doesn't happen after someone flushes the toilet or takes a shower or runs the dishwasher. The toilets seem to flush normally, by the way. Nothing has changed prior to and after the noise (cross between a rumble and moan) began. The sound is definitely coming from the corner of the old laundry room where the cold and hot water pipes come out of the wall. What should I be looking for?

I imagine that if I call in a plumber the noise won't reoccur and I'll just be out a couple hundred bucks.

Cap
    Last edited by Cap; 10-28-2012 at 03:46 PM.

So, how serious is this? It happens about once a day so chances are it wouldn't happen when the plumber is standing there listening. It seems like air is building up somewhere and then is released, but you say it isn't air in the pipes. Would changing the guts of the two toilets stop this annoyance? Should I be worried about pipes bursting?

Cap