(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: uv filter on well

Default uv filter on well

need some help with installing a UV filter please. I have a rural well that free flows into a 200 gallon cistern in the basement. from there it is pressurized , run thru 3 filters, water softener then on to the house. I'd like to install a UV filter to kill any little live organisms, etc that may be in the water. the water flows into the cistern at about 50 gallons/ hour. my question is: can I install a 2 gallon/minute UV filter on the supply line going into the tank (thereby killing everything before it enters the system) or do I have to get a larger (ie. more expensive) UV filter and install it after the tank, where the flow rate is maybe 5-6 gallons/minute? any input would be appreciated

I would mount it after your cistern and after you mount it, it is essential that you thoroughly chlorinate the entire system in order to kill any bacteria in the pipes. Run the chlorine through each and every faucet (hot & cold), toilet, out door spigot, shower, washing machine and your dishwasher. The bulb will need to be replaced every year and I usually replace the quartz tube as well.