(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Anyway to clean iron from inside of softener/resin?

Default Anyway to clean iron from inside of softener/resin?

Was having a problem with sulfur smell and had slightly hard water. Bought a new Filox system (another thread in this forum) as suggested on here. Also bought a used Culligen silver series softner. Filox seems to be working great, sulfur smell is gone. We do now have a metal smell. I am assuming it is coming from the water softener. When I was installing - I pulled the head off the water softener tank and noticed rust staining inside. Also the previous owner had the clack drip feed hooked up inside brine tank. The resin seems to be working as the water is noticeably softer (ordered a hatch test kit and waiting for it to come in..). Is there anything to clean out the rust (I am assuming it is from iron)? We do not have a iron problem here - it was just 11 grain hard water and the rotten egg odor. And I am thinking the metal smell is from the softener???

Since you have the control valve off, lean the resin tan over and pour out all the water you can get out without resin. Then mix a 1/2-3/4 cup of Iron Out/Super Iron Out in enough water to dissolve all of it and pour that in the resin tank and fill the tank with fresh water. Install the control valve. Let it sit for a few hours and then add 2 gallons of water to the salt tank, not down through the salt, wait 2 hours and do a manual regeneration.

The only other way is to empty the tank and let it dry out inside and then use a brush on a stick to scrape the rust off the inside of the tank. Do not let the resin dry out, keep it covered with water at all times.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.