Is this a correct install? Pic of Shower and Toilet Drain installed by local plumber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Brianslink

Reaction score
I hired a local plumber to install the drain and waste vent for my new construction home. This is a picture of a drain area I am concerned with. The shower drain (double shower) on the left starts the run and it continues to a toilet drain on the right which continues on to the main line. No vent. I am afraid when the toilet is flushed it will suck air from the shower trap and gurgle. Am I wrong?

Attachments

• funky_drain.jpg
    funky_drain.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 32,312
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

Brianslink

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I purchased a building permit through my city which includes elect, plumbing, hvac, etc. I do not think the inspector goes in the crawl space though. Here are a couple of pics of another bath at the other end of the house. The crawl space pic is actually two pictures joined together. I also included a photo of the same area topside.

The drain run starts at the tub/shower and continues to the toilet and then continues to a double vanity. The only vent I see is at the double vanity. Will this work?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

boardable

Reaction score
Ok someone correct me if I am wrong. No line can be any more than 5 feet from a vent. AKA if you want to use a single vent stack the rest of the lines can not be more than 5 feet away. You can share one toilet, two sinks, and two bath's or showers on one two inch vent. This is max. The vent in the wall can not be at any more than a 45 degree angle. In your photo it is at a 90 degree angle. Once again I was taught this is a no no. You have no access issues by looking at your crawl space so there is no reason not to do this correctly. Tell them to get back down there and do it right.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They must have thought they were putting plumbing in a mobile home, because that is what it looks like. In most jurisdictions, the vent out through the roof has to have an aggregate area, not diameter, equal to the incoming sewer. One 2" vent does not cut it. I hope he gave you a "good price" because he did a "quick and dirty" installation.

Last edited:

Brianslink

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies so far. The plumber who performed the drain and waste vent work is licensed and has a prominent business in my town. His bid was not low. I am having a hard time swallowing all this. The pics I included show only about 25% of the plumbing he did... I am really worried about the other 75% you guys have not seen. I went under the house with a level and did some checking. I found several "uphill" runs. I'm going to meet with my city inspector tomorrow and we are going to walk through the house and I will reply tomorrow with the results.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The plumber who performed the drain and waste vent work is licensed and has a prominent business in my town

Just goes to show you that not all plumbers are created equal. There is one "prominent" one in this town who stated, "I don't need repeat business, I only need to get into every house in town one time".

boardable

Reaction score
UPHILL RUN !!!!! Are you Effin kidding me. Maybe in his world water runs up not down. 1/8 inch slope minimum and 1/4 prefered by me.

boardable

Reaction score
Also do I see that instead of cutting out the 2x4 and running the double sink drains straight down through the floor where the wall meets they just went in front of the wall? That will only work if your tile guy doesn't mind tiling around them and you don't mind cutting part of the back of your new vanity out and any future installed cabinet also. This is the biggest mickey mouse install I have ever seen

Brianslink

Reaction score
Also do I see that instead of cutting out the 2x4 and running the double sink drains straight down through the floor where the wall meets they just went in front of the wall? That will only work if your tile guy doesn't mind tiling around them and you don't mind cutting part of the back of your new vanity out and any future installed cabinet also. This is the biggest mickey mouse install I have ever seen

There is a double beam directly under the wall so they could not send the drain down without coming outside the wall. The cabinet maker won't have any problem at all, I already talked to him about this.

Brianslink

Reaction score
The inspector came out today and he is fairly new at inspections and unsure of the code for venting. He is going to review his code book and get back to me.

I think I may provide a few add'l photos to show you guys more of the drain and waste vent job. If it comes down to it I may have to use your comments and advice to instruct the plumber on how to do the job right.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The inspector came out today and he is fairly new at inspections and unsure of the code for venting. He is going to review his code book and get back to me.
Let me just point out that I have a copy of some county's "Plumbing for DIY'ers" 5-page PDF, and five minutes looking at that alone could tell you that this was a hack job.

In my jurisdiction, the plumbing inspector is an old-timer who is incredibly-knowledgeable and an incredible hardass. This actually makes me very happy, as it does anyone who takes pride in doing the job right. Sorry they sent you some kid.

Did he need to look at his code book to know that drain pipes -- particularly in brand-spankin'-new construction -- should slope down?

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Brianslink

Reaction score
Let me just point out that I have a copy of some county's "Plumbing for DIY'ers" 5-page PDF, and five minutes looking at that alone could tell you that this was a hack job.

In my jurisdiction, the plumbing inspector is an old-timer who is incredibly-knowledgeable and an incredible hardass. This actually makes me very happy, as it does anyone who takes pride in doing the job right. Sorry they sent you some kid.

Did he need to look at his code book to know that drain pipes -- particularly in brand-spankin'-new construction -- should slope down?

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

The word here is that the previous long term inspector took a job with another city and left my city scrambling for someone to replace him. They replaced him with someone that does not have any inspection background. He is learning his job by being on the job. I think the trades may be taking advantage of this and doing hack jobs. Which obviously I am now a victim of. Ugh.

Brianslink

Reaction score
Another pic

Another picture for ya...this is part of my 3/4 bath. That is a vanity drain on left and a shower drain on the right (toilet drain not shown in this pic). Above the floor the vanity drain has a dry vent. The shower drain drops about 30" to the trap. I poured a cup of water in the shower pan and I think my neighbor could hear the water dropping into the trap from across the street. This is going to drive me nuts. What should be done here?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Those Bert Polk tips that Terry cites are great because they show the individual pieces and how they should be properly applied. (And of course they mention about not venting into the attic...)

The one that I had, from one Klickitat County, was nifty to me because it shows some theory -- i.e. it illustrates a bit why certain stuff is done a certain way. It's a little ponderous at first glance, but if you study it a little, it covers a lot of ground in a few pages and is pretty clear... Here's the link for what it's worth, although the one Terry cited is probably better...
Plumbing-and-Trenching-for-Homeowners---2018 (klickitatcounty.org)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The inspector came out today and he is fairly new at inspections

"Three munths ago I cuddn't spell inspector, now I are one." How can anyone BE an inspector if they don't know at least as much as the people he is inspecting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks