Is this a correct install? Pic of Shower and Toilet Drain installed by local plumber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Another picture for ya...this is part of my 3/4 bath. That is a vanity drain on left and a shower drain on the right (toilet drain not shown in this pic). Above the floor the vanity drain has a dry vent. The shower drain drops about 30" to the trap. I poured a cup of water in the shower pan and I think my neighbor could hear the water dropping into the trap from across the street. This is going to drive me nuts. What should be done here?

The shower needs a vent. Additionally the max drop allowable from the shower drain to the trap is 24" (UPC)

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
No reason as far as I can see that he couldn't have mounted that trap closer to the floor above so as not to give you a loud dripping noise as the drops accelerate to warp speed before hitting the water in the trap. "The trap shall be placed as close as possible to the fixture outlet. The vertical distance from the fixture outlet to the trap weir shall not be more than 24"."

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Can San-Tee's be on their back for venting (not drain?

Not in the more recent UPC code books out here on the West Coast.

On the 24" vertical. I saw a tub hooked up with a long tail piece like that. When the tub drained, it would siphon the p-trap dry. A shorter distance prevents that.
And yes, where is the vent for the shower on that picture?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks