(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this a correct install? Pic of Shower and Toilet Drain installed by local plumber.

[QUOTE=wjcandee;359418][QUOTE=brianslink;359416]The inspector came out today and he is fairly new at inspections and unsure of the code for venting. He is going to review his code book and get back to me.

Let me just point out that I have a copy of some county's "Plumbing for DIY'ers" 5-page PDF, and five minutes looking at that alone could tell you that this was a hack job.

In my jurisdiction, the plumbing inspector is an old-timer who is incredibly-knowledgeable and an incredible hardass. This actually makes me very happy, as it does anyone who takes pride in doing the job right. Sorry they sent you some kid.

Did he need to look at his code book to know that drain pipes -- particularly in brand-spankin'-new construction -- should slope down?

Here is a nice link to Bert Polk's plumbing tips
    The word here is that the previous long term inspector took a job with another city and left my city scrambling for someone to replace him. They replaced him with someone that does not have any inspection background. He is learning his job by being on the job. I think the trades may be taking advantage of this and doing hack jobs. Which obviously I am now a victim of. Ugh.

Default Another pic

Another picture for ya...this is part of my 3/4 bath. That is a vanity drain on left and a shower drain on the right (toilet drain not shown in this pic). Above the floor the vanity drain has a dry vent. The shower drain drops about 30" to the trap. I poured a cup of water in the shower pan and I think my neighbor could hear the water dropping into the trap from across the street. This is going to drive me nuts. What should be done here?

Last edited by brianslink; 10-25-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Those Bert Polk tips that Terry cites are great because they show the individual pieces and how they should be properly applied. (And of course they mention about not venting into the attic...)

The one that I had, from one Kiickitat County, was nifty to me because it shows some theory -- i.e. it illustrates a bit why certain stuff is done a certain way. It's a little ponderous at first glance, but if you study it a little, it covers a lot of ground in a few pages and is pretty clear... Here's the link for what it's worth, although the one Terry cited is probably better... Klickitat County Homeowner's Plumbing Guide

Default Shower trap vent

Does that shower trap arm on the right need a vent installed?

quote; The inspector came out today and he is fairly new at inspections

"Three munths ago I cuddn't spell inspector, now I are one." How can anyone BE an inspector if they don't know at least as much as the people he is inspecting.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by brianslink View Post
    Another picture for ya...this is part of my 3/4 bath. That is a vanity drain on left and a shower drain on the right (toilet drain not shown in this pic). Above the floor the vanity drain has a dry vent. The shower drain drops about 30" to the trap. I poured a cup of water in the shower pan and I think my neighbor could hear the water dropping into the trap from across the street. This is going to drive me nuts. What should be done here?

The shower needs a vent. Additionally the max drop allowable from the shower drain to the trap is 24" (UPC)

No reason as far as I can see that he couldn't have mounted that trap closer to the floor above so as not to give you a loud dripping noise as the drops accelerate to warp speed before hitting the water in the trap. "The trap shall be placed as close as possible to the fixture outlet. The vertical distance from the fixture outlet to the trap weir shall not be more than 24"."
    Last edited by wjcandee; 10-27-2012 at 03:52 AM.

Default Thank you.

Thank you for the info. I am very grateful for your comments.

Queston: On Venting:
    Can San-Tee's be on thier back for venting (not drain?
    Michael
    Michael
    Sac City Plumbing
    http://SacCityPlumbing.com

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can San-Tee's be on their back for venting (not drain?
    Not in the more recent UPC code books out here on the West Coast.

On the 24" vertical. I saw a tub hooked up with a long tail piece like that. When the tub drained, it would siphon the p-trap dry. A shorter distance prevents that.
    And yes, where is the vent for the shower on that picture?
    Last edited by Terry; 10-27-2012 at 10:38 AM.