(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: media guard kdf 55 good or bad?

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know them well, great company, why would anyone here care where you buy it from? Unless you were going to buy absolute junk from the big box stores, or scam equipment, most people here dont care.

I agree with Gary, the right way to do it is with a backwashing carbon tank, but if your budget is tight, and Aquatel puts in the right DLFC button (4-5 GPM depending on water temp), you will be very happy with the media guard. Even up to 10 GPM, we see a 90+% reduction in chlorine with a KDF55 media guard, and they last for 3+ years. You simply replace them every 3 years, and you are good to go. Replacement is fairly simple and fairly inexpensive. Plus you get the added benefits of heavy metals removal.

Thanks for the help guys and it is good to know ditto that you are familiar with the company.

Also people told me locally that the catalytic carbon dos a better job then the kdf 55. Meaning that it works better is this true?

Blog Entries

LOL, as we have said before, it is a different media and works in a different way. They can not really be compared. The type of chlorine, the amount, the flow rates, competing elements, contact time, flow rates etc... Read through the website www.kdfft.com for details about how the media works and its abilities. Catalytic carbon has its abilities that vary greatly from KDF. Its like comparing a race car to a speed boat, they are too different to accurately compare. Many companies will tell you that a certain media is "better" due to a lack of knowledge, or product availability, etc.

DIY Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    I agree and IMO carbon/charcoal is a much better choice to remove chlorine. It is much less expensive and doesn't require the high gpm backwash that KDF does. But then I'm not a fan of removing chlorine on a whole house basis when you are on a 'city' water system.
    What about bacteria and algae growth in the carbon? I have a whole house chlorine removal system with a back washing carbon and a media guard. 1.5 cu. ft. of carbon 4 sections on the media guard. It worked great when it was working, but my problem is we had swampy water come through the town system a while back and after it had cleared up everywhere else mine continued. I'm guessing what ever it was is now growing in the carbon. So I take it apart and the media guard is not attached to the meter head. It's seem to be a very flimsy connection with thin plastic so I am assuming the kdf got plugged up and caused enough presser to pop off the media guard. Very poor set up in my opinion. Took apart the media guard and it was definitely clumped and hard. Who knows how long the media guard was on there. The carbon is still removing chlorine but not so sure the swampy tasting water is a good thing to be drinking. maybe just a smaller amount of carbon and change it every year or when something contaminates it would be the better Idea?

The best idea is to not remove the chlorine unless you do so at the shower head or kitchen sink and not to use a media that provides a great place for bacteria growth like carbon.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Blog Entries

I highly recommend whole house carbon. Considering the number of organic chemicals GAC can remove. It is inexpensive, and in a backwashing application, the small amounts of chlorine keep the system relatively clean. All water will have some form of bio growth. Replacing the carbon every few years will keep everything just fine. It sounds like the city supply had a major malfunction and that would suggest that your filtration medias should be replaced, and the equipment should be properly sanitized during the media replacement.

As to the KDF, it is a common problem for companies and DIY types to not adjust the BLFC to a proper rate accounting for water temperature. In general, the DLFC must be between 4 and 5 GPM regardless of tank size. you are adjusting the backwash for the media guard, not for the resin. if the DLFC is correct, the KDF can last for many years. The media guard is fairly fragile, but when seviced correctly, it is fairly easy to replace.