Show me your shower glass :)

Users who are viewing this thread

boardable

Reaction score
Guy's I am getting close to finishing up my neo angled shower . I want frameless glass and dont really want any protrusions into my tile or sub structure. So here are my questions :

1. Can this be done

2. If this can be done how? Glue? Etc.

3. Any pictures of your glass installs

4. Are glass guys good with tile that may not be super even.

I have no idea how tile guys get the tile so flat when they need to back butter? My walls were perfect but the tile was a very little off.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They get the tile straight by using a level and straight edge. Even tempered glass is not "super" strong and can be shattered by pressure in just the right location. Even if the sides are "frameless" the top and bottom should be stabilized somehow, especially if the door is going to be hinged off of one of the sides. Recessing the bottom into the tile gives good stabilization and as long as the joint does not crack should be leakproof. It does "lock" you into that enclosure however, unless you want to change the tile if you ever need a different style.

boardable

Reaction score
Wow those are truely beautiful. Getting the tile perfectly flat in the wall seems to be a obsticle I have no overcome. Groutlines look perfect but the flatness is hard. Using Schluter edge profiles is one obsticle I have not over come. Maybe this is because I am usually using 20 " tiles. With this job I am using 24 x12 subway tile and back buttering it. Are you all back buttering your tile? As for the glass looks like basically they are cutting a groove into my tile and sliding in glass. Sounds fine to me. I am pretty sure glass guys deal with some pretty bad tile. Just like when I install cabinets. The granite guy will tell you if you did a good job or not.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Boardable often the larger tiles have a slight crown to them.

Perfection is many times an illusion and not reality. I have yet to see a perfect installation but most always look perfect! Does that make sense Grasshopper? lol

Setting a group of tiles like 6 oversized 1'x2' at once is a key starting point. This way you can get your two planes in line. Your x axis (horizontal) and y axis (vertical) Check the diagonal and then build off this mass.

Lets see your project!

JW

boardable

Reaction score
Here it is. Don't Laugh
photo.JPG

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Here it is. Don't Laugh

The installation looks great. Your struggles with keeping things flat where mostly because of the 50% offset (Brick Pattern) that you used. Next time try a 1/3 off set and you will see that things are easier.

Is that a little Red Guard back up over the Kerdi system I see? lol. That's how I built most of my projects for seven years.

JW

boardable

Reaction score
Ok yea. That is redgard. I am always the guy that makes sure everything slopes and like a dummy I forgot to slope my niches. Knowing that sloping the thinset isn't going to stop all the water that may get in there and not wanting to create a mold situation I made a redgard slope lol. Yea I will take the time to make sure the curb is flat for the glass man. Should I be sloping the curb tile inward to the pan slightly. Once again I love slope. Lol

stevenjames

Reaction score
With the shower doors you can add more functionality and shine to your bathroom. These are the best elements that could enhance your bathroom and hence are a rage these days.
90-degree-shower-door-11-nggid03352-ngg0dyn-197x266x100-00f0w010c011r110f110r010t010.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks