Plumbing Layout Review

Users who are viewing this thread

dsanchez

Reaction score
Hi There.
New to the forum but would appreciate some review and feedback on some plumbing I plan on doing shortly. I'm adding 2nd floor WC and moving an existing WC.

Just looking for some feedback regarding, if there are any issue with the set up, fittings used or code violations. Also any helpful 'gotchas' that you may know of that I should consider.

Also had a couple questions:
1. Started dry fitting some of the piping together and I'm concerned I won't get the proper slope (1/4" over 1') on the horizontal run in the 7.5 inch void. Any suggestions? Maybe I should be use floor flange with 3" inside fitting?

2. I have an existing bulk head in the kitchen on 2 sides. I'm hoping to match up the new bulk head on the same level but again I'm worried about the 90 and long sweep 90 causing the bulk head to be lower than the existing ones and not being able to tie the bulkheads together nicely. Any thoughts?

I've attached a side and over head view of drawings to illustrate the plumbing set up and fittings. The drawings aren't to scale and I'm not a drafter but hopefully these are good enough to get the idea.

View attachment Plumbing Diagram.pdf

FYI. I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks in advance for you feedback.

dsanchez

Reaction score
I guess because I'm new no one trusts the attachment??

Here's a jpeg of the diagram. Any expert opinions would be appreciated.

Plumbing-Diagram.jpg

Thanks.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
Venting needs help.
Need a 2" vent for the toilet.
Also each toilet should be vented.
On the lower toilet vent needs to be before the wye where the lines tie in together.
The two vents can tie together 6" inches above the flood rim, but common practice is to tie together at 42" high.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think he needs 2" in Canada, 1-1/2 is ok I think. He needs to check his code though. IPC would let both toilets go without a vent as long as there was one somewhere in the house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Flowing one toilet past the connection to a second one DOES need a vent, regardless of the required size, preferably at the point where the two meet, or else individual vents on each toilet line.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Flowing one toilet past the connection to a second one DOES need a vent, regardless of the required size, preferably at the point where the two meet, or else individual vents on each toilet line.

I looked at a similar situation in Seattle last week. One vent, two toilets, with one coming in horizontally on a wye after the first. One bowl works fine, but the other toilet loses water when the other toilet is flushed. Like hj, I think that you will need to make sure that each bowl is vented. With the new toilets that flush quicker, how they are plumbed is changing. The design after the water leaves the bowl is becoming "more" important, not "less".
With the Seattle home, older slow functioning bowls had been working. Changing to toilets with 3" flush valves changed that.

Last edited:

dsanchez

Reaction score
Thanks all. So will one vent after the wye work or are you saying I need to vent both toilets separately regardless?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would future proof your home by venting each toilet "before" the wye.

In my own home, when I remodel the baths in the upstairs, I will be changing how the plumbing is routed for the toilets. The old ways no longer work.

Last edited:

dsanchez

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

One more question.. so if I run another vent at the wye where the toilets meet then I'll need to run the vent horizontally (slight slope) back to the shared wall of the toilet. it would be about 3' before the vent would travel vertically.

Any issues with this?

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep, You can't run a vent horizontal until it is 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixtures served.

dsanchez

Reaction score
Yes, because it is horizontal, but a "vent Y" between the closet bend and the toilet's "Y" would NOT be 3' from the wall.

Ok. But even if was right after the bend it would still need to run about a 16 - 18" horizontally back to the wall is this ok? If not how do I vent the second toilet?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks