American Standard B-201 shower faucet -- HELP! before I bugger it further....

Users who are viewing this thread

KinLI

Reaction score
Shower has been dripping. The house was built in 1938 and renovated once in 1958. and this shower faucet is probably from 1938. The other shower's faucet is definitely from 1938 and I had to repair that in 2006, at which time I bought a rebuild kit for this one (FKAS 201-2). At the time I had found the faucet diagram online but now I cannot seem to find that old description and details. Too much more stuff has been added to the web, or perhaps the old info has been removed...

Anyway, I removed the handle and such to get to the point in the photos. There is no access panel to the pipes so removal of the entire assembly is not a viable option at this time.

I am in need of some instructions as to what the next steps to disassembly and repair are, but unable to find it on the web.... I did get the left screw and center flange and nut off so now there are just the two top and two bottom screws and the center valve to deal with.....

Addendum: The repair kit indicated it is for a B201/B202 however it is not... it is a common error it seems after talking to several supply house that they confuse the R1400 and the B200 with the B201/202. See links below for schematics

Attachments

• AmerStdFaucet1.jpg
    AmerStdFaucet1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 3,440
  • AmStdFaucet2.jpg
    AmStdFaucet2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,388
  • AmerStdFaucet3.jpg
    AmerStdFaucet3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 2,269
Last edited:

KinLI

Reaction score
Status Update - Can you Identify this?

Okay, here is the latest, after soaking the screws with PB Blaster and using visegrip on a stubby fat slotted screwdriver, the brass cover came off.... unfortunately, the repair kit the plumbing supply house said was for this faucet doesn't look like it will suffice.... it may be the wrong kit.... you can see the chrome hexagonal cover in the one photo.....

Any guidance anyone?????

Addendum: I am still not sure from the diagram as to what the difference is between a B201 and a B202. As stated above, the repair kit was improper.
Here is a link to the schematic for the B 201 and B202.
American Standard diagrams start on the tenth page of pdf
http://standardsupplyco.com/site/1591stan/Tub_Shower_Repair_Bath_Accessories_1_of_2.pdf
R1400 is on the 13th page
B201/B202 is on the 14th page

Unfortunately the pdf copy is not very clear as to the assembly. I have emailed American Standard directly to ask for a schematic from their archives, and their response is that they don't keep anything past 15 years....

I did manage to cull some interesting tidbits from some archival sites in my webcrawling and here is a quote:
Circa 1930:
"Standard Factories will supply your Home with health and comfort giving plumbing fixtures of first quality, just as they have supplied millions of other American homes. Since 1900 they have produced more than twenty-eight million ''Standard" Plumbing Fixtures.

You can equip your home entirely with Standard Plumbing Fixtures and so center the responsibility for the whole installation on one reliable manufacturer. ''Standard" Factories not only make every type of plumbing fixture and accessory the public requires, but also make more of each kind than the factories of any other manufacturer in the world. These one hundred and seventy-three and one half acres of buildings are not merely factories of mechanical industry, but they are peopled with ten thousand interested workers, anxious to keep "Standard" Plumbing Fixtures unsurpassed in quality. Most of these employees have been with this Company many years and own stock in it.

Re-Nu bronze sleeve:
Standard Re-Nu Valves have internal bronze sleeves which, with the stems, comprise the only parts subject to wear. These when worn can be replaced at a nominal cost.
RE-NU Feature for Standard Faucets and Valves: The removable barrel or working unit containing the seat and threads embodies a principle of construction that makes for the almost perpetual life of the fitting.
Re-NU line an integral part of the removable barrel which is made of high grade bronze metal. This permits easy replacement of these parts at small expense, making the Re-NU Faucet in operation as good as new.

In the "Standard" General Catalogue are many Showers, from the very simple to the many varied, elaborate Showers designed for all preferences and conditions. The real essentials of the finest Showers are the shower head and mixing valve. Water is tempered by the K 100 Mixing Valve which is safe, dependable and the parts few and accessible. Maximum high temperature of water to be delivered can be set by a small adjusting screw, provided the cold supply is not entirely shut off. This feature is a safeguard against scalding and insures proper mixture. Volume Control in shower head regulates the force without changing the mixture."

The RE-NU feature is a separate renewable barrel which slips into the valve or faucet body. The ground joint principle is employed in sealing the Re-Nu barrel to the body of the fitting. The threads engaging the stem and the seat are cast into the Re-Nu barrel, and the wear caused by opening and closing the valve will occur on these parts.

After many emails and websites, I have the following to report:

Here is a price comparison from Chicago Faucet Shoppe, Guillen, and eonline Plumbing

Item # Description Part # Chicago Guillen Eonline
2 Lock washer 267-09 -- -- --
8 Packing gland 33894-07 3.80 5.46 5.24
10 Regulating screw cap21121-07 4.64 6.67 --
11 Screw cap washers 1325-07 .36 .48 --
13 Cap screws 21779-07 3.45 4.96 5.58
16 Stem 27212-02 43.92 63.14 71.10
18 Seat washer 458-07 .61 .93
19 Brass washer 1145-07 .59 .79 .89
22 Joint washer cold 91-17 .81 1.09 1.23
23 Regulating screw 1147-07 .88 1.26 --
27 Joint washer hot 83-17 .87 1.32 1.36

www.ChicagoFaucetShoppe.com

http://www.e-onlineplumbingparts.com/

Needless to say I have placed my order for parts with Chicago Faucet Shoppe.

At this point I have closed it back up and am waiting, but I do want to note that the two sleeves have become frozen and will require some soaking with PB Blaster to free them up so I can replace the washers at the back of them. The two plungers came out readily from them, the hot plunger is on the left in the photo below and has a regulating screw in it - I have not touched the regulating screw so I am presuming that upon reassembly my mix of hot to cold should be as ideal as it was before.... the cold plunger is on the right side. If anyone has a spare of that particular cold plunger there is another forum member looking for that part - Bob Cleveland. Both Bob and Walter have provided advice as to freeing up the sleeves.

I will no doubt have more questions on re-assembly when the parts do arrive as I don't have any traces of the prior renewable pieces to just pop out and replace -- the prior repair was done by a silicone happy person who didn't bother to consider using parts I suppose. Only good thing is that as you can see in the photo, that person used a whole lot of silicone caulking in the wall around the outside of the faucet body, so when the cover plate came off absolutely no residual water infiltrated the wall..... while I am waiting for parts I will clean that out and fill it up again with silicone....

I also need to consider what to do about the conditioning of the water supply so I can extend the life of my plumbing.... anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• AmStdAssemblyinWal.jpg
    AmStdAssemblyinWal.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,576
  • coverValve.jpg
    coverValve.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,647
  • repairkit.jpg
    repairkit.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,702
Last edited:

KinLI

Reaction score
1938 American Standard shower faucet R1400 - other bath - repaired in 2006

As a comparison, here are photos of the shower faucet I repaired in June 2006. It is an American Standard, single handle faucet R1400 model made from 1928 until 1970. The repair kit was FKAS-R1400A and cost me $10.39. This may prove useful for someone someday.... The repair was easy.

Here is a link that shows the exploded view for the R1400 repair kit.
http://www.watertownsupply.com/Products/Detail/15622-34752-ams_R1400_shower_valve.pdf

or this one.....
American Standard diagrams start on the tenth page of pdf
http://standardsupplyco.com/site/1591stan/Tub_Shower_Repair_Bath_Accessories_1_of_2.pdf
R1400 is on the 13th page

Here is an even better view, photo quality is exellent - American Standard diagrams are included and are very clear photos, huge file that is long to load
http://www.tmssouth.com/downloads/AcorntoAS.pdf
R1400 is on page 6

If I could find a clear exploded view like that for the above one that needs fixing now, that would be super!

Addendum: the email for parts at Watertown is usparts@watertownsupply.com and they carry a repair kit for the R1400 that covers parts #6-23 in the schematic and costs $118.01. Note:that kit does not repair the B201 or B202 with the RE-NU joints and sleeves.

Attachments

• CIMG1234.jpg
    CIMG1234.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,525
  • CIMG1227.jpg
    CIMG1227.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,561
  • CIMG1228.jpg
    CIMG1228.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,576
  • CIMG1229.jpg
    CIMG1229.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,561
  • CIMG1230.jpg
    CIMG1230.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,616
Last edited:

mclintock

Reaction score
Hello
I have the same shower faucet assembly in my bathroom. What I am looking for is a replacement for this assembly. Does anyone know if there is one out there? Same form fit and function. Thanks Mclintockshower-3.jpgshower valve back.jpgshower-1.jpgshower valve back to faucets.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks