another pvc to abs connection question (sorry)

Users who are viewing this thread

greyhound1

Reaction score
I believe that I read something in here earlier about this issue, although I'm not sure if it applies exactly to my situation.

My main soil stack is abs. The toilet soil pipe is in question feeds through to the basement, where this 3" connection feeds into the main soil pipe. The toilet ABS pipe was recently replaced with PVC pipe which now feeds into the main soil pipe (ABS) via the ABS sanitary tee (part of the main soil pipe). The main soil pipe is tight against the basement wall, so that a Fernco-Neoprene sleeve and metal band connection, was not available. I know that the "Fernco" connection is the preferred method to connect 2 dissimilar plastic pipes. My township inspector told me that either the "Fernco" connection or the use of "transition cement" is an approved method of connecting PVC to ABS in our township.

The installation of the PVC pipe to the ABS joint was beautifully done. My questions are:

1. I am unsure of the cement used to join the two dissimilar pipes. However, if "all purpose cement" was used instead of "transition cement", should I have the connection re-done with transition cement/ There is no "run off" of green or any other color glue onto the pipe as an indication.

2. If it is not "re-done", then practically speaking, what is the downside to leaving it "as is"? I know that the expansion rates of ABS and PVC differ, but the "union in question" is in a dehumidified and adequately insulated basement. Does this matter? (practically speaking).

Please do not misunderstand me. I know that codes are in place for a reason, and if the "all purpose" cement was used and the consensus is to re-do with transition cement, then I will have it re-done.

For purposes of this discussion, please assume that the "all purpose cement" was used in the joining of the PVC to ABS, as I would like to know the answer for future projects. I will speak with the installer after I read what 'Terry's People" have to say.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Greyhound1

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, "practically speaking", sometimes plastic pipe joints remain leak-free for very long periods (years and years!) with
no "glue" whatever applied. I've seen joints using "all-purpose" cement come apart with very little mechanical stress.
So no one can tell you what WILL happen. If the person who used this "all-purpose" cement
has any ambition to actually learn how to plumb according to accepted practices, then he/she should willingly redo it with
the approved materials, gratis.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are NO approved glues for PVC to ABS. They are totally different plastics and require totally different glues to make the solvent WELD between fitting and pipe. The only approved ways to transition are either by a mechanical joint such as a mission band or fernco or the use of male and female adapters.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; There are NO approved glues for PVC to ABS.

What is your definition of "approved". Our gas utility used ABS supply lines for years and after they changed to PVC, they ALWAYS make the interconnection with the green "transition glue", even though the lines were running under "high pressure". Since the glue is specified for "non pressurized lines" only I asked them about it and they said they had never had a failure with it.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
My definition is the IPC and the UPC where neither approve transition glue. As for gas and the utilities, I guess that's their call.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks