Flooring

Users who are viewing this thread

rydiaz4u

Reaction score
I recently added a FROG (finished room over the garage). At the bottom of the steps leading to this room is a small foyer that leads into the kitchen which is tiled. I wanted to continue the tiling from the kitchen into this foyer, but the new plywood subfloor is slightly too high to allow me to add the durorock. I spoke to a tile installer who suggested using a membrane vice the durorock. He said this would allow the correct height to allow the tiles in the kitchen and foyer to be at the same level. Has anyone herad of this type of membrane? Where can I get it? and how do I install it?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Anti=fracture membranes are usful over concrete. They keep minor cracks in the slab from telescoping into the tile. I do not think they will make up for a subfloor which is not thick enough for tile. For best help, visit the tile forum:
www.johnbridge.com

rydiaz4u

Reaction score
I've been reading about a product called DITRA. Is this what I'm looking for?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I haven't used the DITRA, but have read and heard a lot of good things about the Schluter products. It sounds like it is just what you need. Again, most of us here have done a lot of tile work; we tend to use the "age old" methods. If you go over to johnbridge, you can get feedback from people who are using these new products.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the subfloor is adequate for tile so it doesn't have too much deflection, then yes, Ditra would work on top of the plywood. Figure that it adds about 1/8" to the thickness of the tile plus thinset. Some places sell this, but you may have to buy more than you want. There is a link over at www.johnbridge.com that sells smaller quantities rather than a whole roll. Their prices are decent, too.

What was on this floor previously? If it has vinal or luan plywood, that needs to come off. The thin lath/mortar mix is called a Jersey mud job, and is not an approved method of tile installation by the TCA. Most places that have rules, require TCA, but it seems most places don't enforce it, either.

Sulconst2

Reaction score
ok pick on the jersey guys huh? thats ok we are thick skinned here! min code here on floor is 1 1/4" wood. you can tile directly on that, if you want to. i don't. either use wonderboard (durock) which is quick, or wire mesh and mud which is economical. the tca site has some info on this:

"Thick-bed installations are based on the traditional method of packing a mortar bed over a surface before installing the tile. The tile is adhered to the mortar bed either while the mortar bed is green (just beginning to dry) or after the mortar bed has cured. The mortar bed may be reinforced with wire and either set over a cleavage membrane (that allows the mortar bed to "float" free of the substrate) or bonded to the substrate - hence the use of the terms "floating mortar bed" or "bonded mortar bed".

belive me when i say, as a remodeling contractor at the central jersey shore bad building practices will end you up in the "a holes r us" forum. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks