(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Laminate counter too deep

Default Laminate counter too deep

Our laminate counters came in wrong a second time. This time, they are just an inch and a half too deep (front to back). We don't have a backsplash on the counter as most do. What is the best way to rip off that 1.5"? I know to make sure the cut line is taped on the laminate side, but what is the best tool? Table saw, jig saw, router with spiral blade, or a regular old circular saw?

Thanks!

I would cut from the underside with a 24 tooth marathon blade in a skilsaw. I never tape if i'm cuting from the underside but that would be ok. I'm not a countertop guy but I've cut a bunch of them.

Hammerslamer is right as long as you are good with a skill saw. Take your time, go slow, and mark the side you can see with a cut line to follow. Remember "measure twice cut once".

A jigsaw will tend to make a cut line which varies from perpendicular. A circular saw would be my choice. Cut from the underside. I would mark a cut line, then cut about 1/16" proud of this. Then you can scribe the countertop to the wall, and do final cleanup with a belt sander for a perfect fit.