(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: toilet paper holder - most convenient place for it to be

  1. #1
    DIY Member piezomot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    44

    Default toilet paper holder - most convenient place for it to be

    Hello,

    I refer to this post below with this picture.
    http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...-by-Jamie-Love
    Name:  toilet_paper.jpg
Views: 3742
Size:  57.3 KB

    I am just wondering - what is the proper location for the toilet paper holder - height and distance from the wall?

    I have found some info here:

    http://infodrop.hubpages.com/hub/How...-in-a-Bathroom

    ...Standard Location

    The rules aren't set in stone but the generally accepted standard is to mount the holder on the wall 26 inches above the floor, and 8 to 12 inches in front of the toilet...


    But I am just wondering if there is the most convenient place for it to be?
    Last edited by piezomot; 10-22-2012 at 08:28 AM.

  2. #2
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piezomot View Post
    Hello,

    I refer to this post below with this picture.
    http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...-by-Jamie-Love
    Name:  toilet_paper.jpg
Views: 3742
Size:  57.3 KB

    I am just wondering - what is the proper location for the toilet paper holder - height and distance from the wall?

    I have found some info here:

    http://infodrop.hubpages.com/hub/How...-in-a-Bathroom

    ...Standard Location

    The rules aren't set in stone but the generally accepted standard is to mount the holder on the wall 26 inches above the floor, and 8 to 12 inches in front of the toilet...


    But I am just wondering if there is the most convenient place for it to be?
    For my taste, er, BAD choice of words here, that toilet paper is too far back and the toilet is too close to the wall in those photos at the link.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  3. #3
    DIY Member piezomot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    For my taste, er, BAD choice of words here, that toilet paper is too far back and the toilet is too close to the wall in those photos at the link.
    I agree - it is not comfortable to grab the roll behind you, but my question is what all people do in general?

    Do they sit on the toilet to grab the roll or they already stay to grab the roll?

  4. #4

    Default

    I find mine on the floor all the time, you mean it doesn't belong there? lol.

  5. #5
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I find mine on the floor all the time, you mean it doesn't belong there? lol.
    Wifey's bathroom has the paper on a stand, so she can place it anywhere she wants.

    Not this one, but you get the idea. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...654&ci_gpa=pla

    will the link survive?
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  6. #6
    DIY Junior Member GeorgeCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Mine looks pretty far from the toilet but it's really well within arms reach.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #7
    Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bothell, Washington
    Posts
    14,191
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Normally the paper is near the end of the bowl or at least in front of the bowl.
    However, then the real word comes in, and you may have a tub or shower on one side, a lav cabinet on the other side. A lav cabinet is only 22" deep. So any paper holder installed in the side of a cabinet is going to be pretty close, more like cramped close. The picture above shows a short wall next to a lav cabinet, which prevents it from being farther out by much. And the original paper holder was set up for a standard height bowl. Many new bowls are 1.5" to 2" taller.
    If you have a long wall on one side, you can actually place it where it's it makes sense, what with bowl height, length of bowl and comfort.

    I had one home with 47" between the walls The paper was on the far wall, and seemed fine. My bathrooms at the moment are more like 59". That's a bit far out there, even with my arms.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-22-2012 at 09:16 AM.

  8. #8

    Default

    Bob, that is the one I got in your link. I find it empty all the time, and the roll on the floor, or naught.

    The tiny PitBull loves to find the roll. Personally, I would let him have it.
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-22-2012 at 10:17 AM.

  9. #9
    DIY Member piezomot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    Wifey's bathroom has the paper on a stand, so she can place it anywhere she wants.

    Not this one, but you get the idea. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...654&ci_gpa=pla

    will the link survive?
    This looks smart as it reduces the risk of accidentally brushing the wall or cabinet with one's knuckles, potentially transferring grime and germs...

    In Canada we have better option for these, it gives you an option to read some magazines too, plus to keep an extra toilet paper supply.
    Name:  54511_Toilet_Caddy_Bamboo_4.jpg
Views: 3192
Size:  10.0 KB
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/toil...-bamboo/965604
    Last edited by piezomot; 10-22-2012 at 10:36 AM.

  10. #10
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piezomot View Post
    This looks smart as it reduces the risk of accidentally brushing the wall or cabinet with one's knuckles, potentially transferring grime and germs...

    In Canada we have better option for these, it gives you an option to read some magazines too, plus to keep an extra toilet paper supply.
    Name:  54511_Toilet_Caddy_Bamboo_4.jpg
Views: 3192
Size:  10.0 KB
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/toil...-bamboo/965604
    Oh , so you think you only get the fanct stuff in Canada? Just kidding. We saw that one at Bed Bath and Beyond here, but not in the oil rubbed broonze finish. The one we got actually does have a plasic bar that keeps the roll held in place, just like the wall mounted ones have..

    The link I posted was just the first one I saw today
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  11. #11

    Default

    I like batman.

  12. #12
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I like batman.
    Looks like he's on duty for a big job
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  13. #13

    Default

    Most of the houses I have been in, the toilet paper holder is at an arm's reach. So, unless, someone is 7'5 like the guy in the news who got new shoes for his size, most are basically, within the same limits. Alot of the newer homes do not have them. They use the floor models, like Bob, put in a link, and the one in which I got. I saw one hanging by a long nail in a wall, lol. Economics, lol.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 12:11 PM
  2. Brown Constuction Paper --- Builders Paper
    By chefwong in forum Remodel Forum & Blog
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-01-2012, 05:16 PM
  3. Problem with toilet paper? Toilet Paper Poll
    By Jamie Love in forum Toilet Forum discussions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 04:05 PM
  4. toilet paper holder
    By willl in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 03:48 AM
  5. Toilet Paper
    By Dunbar Plumbing in forum Computers and Stuff
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-16-2007, 12:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •