CI Plumbing Question

Users who are viewing this thread

brody-o

Consulting Engineer
Reaction score
I know you guys have come across this sometime in the past. Needed to move my shower drain (under slab) during a shower remodel. I have sucessfully removed the lead joint into the 2" soil tee and now have an exact 3" ID (4" OD lip) bell to deal with. I have been to about 5 supply houses (including Fergason) and made at least 10 calls and no one has any idea where to get a 2"x2" donut to transition to ABS. I need some help. I am totally stalled and can't move on without buttoning and levelling the shower floor. I'm sucking the beers at a faster rate as I get frustrated. Anyone have some advice on alternative good approaches for the DIYer on how to transition to ABS on a vertical joint? I'll be calling Fernco in the morning to see if they can spec and ship a single donut, but the weekend is approaching and I can't stand sitting around waiting for a $5 part. In advance, thanks for any expert advice.

Brody

Sulconst2

Reaction score
if you can get below the 2" tee, rent a chain snap. cut pipe then use a banded fernco for transition to pvc.

brody-o

Consulting Engineer
Reaction score
Situation

The details. P trap right off the SV wye (drain down, vent up all through the slab and in the wall). Trap needed to go and couldn't cut it and maintain enough pipe for a no hub, so it has been removed. Just below the wye is a cast nipple. Again, so short I would need to go deep to find a straight section and I suspect the next fitting is anothher wye into the main. The new drain will be about 18" off original location. I am really pressed for space and don't want to undermine the slab enough to cut the entire fitting out (unless I break it, but I won't). I live in the Los Angels area and I can't beleive this is an order item. I buy a lot of pipe and equipment for my career, and this is the first fitting that I haven't been able to readily find. Am I missing something? There has to be more than one "modern" solution to this problem. Epoxy, ...? How do you experts solve this while on site?

Last edited:

Sulconst2

Reaction score
not a plumbing pro. but they would probably install a short piece of cast with a oakum and lead joint. then no-hub from there. i do about 6 full bathrooms remodels a year and but i would bring someone in for that joint.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Fernco will not ship to an individual, only to companys buying direct from them.
You should call around to find a company that does and they can order it for you. It will take about 3-4 weeks or more to get it that way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

How much is your time worth? Break down and call a plumber to at least install a cast iron stub even if you want to run the rest of the pipe yourself.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
People, including non-pros, break the slab to move the drain for a shower all of the time...it isn't that big of a deal. Check out www.johnbridge.com for help in shower construction.

brody-o

Consulting Engineer
Reaction score
John Bridge is the forum that led me here to Terry Love. Both sites are great. Thanks for the help everyone. I actually found that the local Harrington Plastics distributor (6 minutes from my house) is the best place to order in my area. I guess the floor will be open a few more days.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks