Is this a drain? (above water softner loop)

Users who are viewing this thread

RobHydell

Reaction score
I want to add a water softener and don't want to make assumptions. Is this a drain that I can use for the softener's backwash? Thanks in advance for the help.

The inlet and outlet at the bottom of the picture go to my whole house water filter.

Drain Pipe.jpg

Brokersdad

Reaction score
Think i'd take the end off of it and go to other areas of the house and run some water to see if you can hear it passing by the pipe to make sure it was in fact some type of drain. Who knows what people do when building

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't want to make assumptions ... so you get on the internet and ask folks who can't possibly know even as
much as you about that pipe, and ask THEM to make assumptions ... ?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This place was plumbed by a handyman. All of that PVC pipe is a dead give away. So, there's no way to tell by looking. You may have to open the wall to figure it out.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have a catastrophe in the making with that PVC piping inside the house.

PVC piping can't be used inside the home. That should be removed and replaced with CPVC or PEX
PVC is only rated for use underground where the temperatures can remain cooler and constant. Using PVC for domestic hot water is a real NO-NO.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
it could be, but the configuration is all wrong for a cleanout, especially since it does not appear to have a removable cap or plug. If it were a washing machine drain, then where are the hot and cold water supplies a WM would need.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks