Round or elongated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
Besides the obvious, what are the advantages to either one? I just have never thought about it. Clearances? Personal preference? I just don't know.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most men prefer an elongated, other than that, there isn't a significant difference, if any, in performance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The only reasons for going round would be cost savings, (that's why they are in new homes) and if a door is hitting the front of the bowl.

Men don't fit on round bowls. So fifty percent of the population has been suffering because of a builders cost saving measure.

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
The only reasons for going round would be cost savings, (that's why they are in new homes) and if a door is hitting the front of the bowl.

Men don't fit on round bowls. So fifty percent of the population has been suffering because of a builders cost saving measure.

Thank you.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another point against round bowls is that few, if any, are available in Comfort or ADA height. I you are going to buy a new toilet, unless your family if really vertically challenged, get a Comfort Height.

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
Another point against round bowls is that few, if any, are available in Comfort or ADA height. I you are going to buy a new toilet, unless your family if really vertically challenged, get a Comfort Height.

I purchased a Champion 4 ADA elongated. I am now concerned about the issues with that unit I have read here. On the fence now about returning it, and choosing an equal unit, if such a unit is made.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOme have said the Champion is a copy of the Toto Drake. Living where you do, there should be plenty of places that stock Toto. The street price is much less than the list price. There are various models and finishes and flush volumes (1.6, 1.28, and 1g!) flushes. My mother has two Drakes I installed for her, and she loves them.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many of us on this forum have concerns about AS quality, and recommend the Toto line. To be as fair as possible, if you are fortunate enough to get an AS toilet that is not defective, it may work well for you. But, with a 25% defective rate, it's a real gamble on getting a good one. I think it is interesting that on this forum there are many pages of negative comments regarding AS toilets, but virtually nothing but praise for Totos. There is no censorship of these comments either.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If I were you, as Jim and Gary have noted, I would look at the Toto Drake CST744S as a high-quality toilet available at a better price than the Champion if you shop around (and it is important to make a few calls because prices vary); the Toto list prices are high, but they are available at good fair prices if you call around; you can see what Terry sells them for if you click on "Sale on Toilets" in the red box above.

I thought Terry would supply in the LA area...did that change?

Anyway, a good affordable 1.28 gpf toilet, which is rebate-eligible if Anaheim still has a program, is the Drake CST744E. Same as the Drake, but rated at 1.28 gpf.

A little higher is the Drake II, CST454CEFG, a 1.28 gpf toilet which is a great value because it includes a bunch of extra features: CEFIONTECT coating to prevent stains, Universal-height, Double-Cyclone rinse (the Drake flush is just as good as the Drake II, but the Drake II has a little better bowl rinse with the Double-cyclone).

And you can peruse Terry's "consumer toilet report" above to see some other models. Note the prices in there may not be totally-current; prices seem to be coming down a bit generally.

All the Totos will have a great flush and be of excellent quality. I saw on another plumber's web site the comment that regardless which factory Toto makes a particular component in, the quality is always stellar; he made the point, as many have made here, that often you get a tank from one factory of a manufacturer and a bowl from another, and pretty much only with Toto will the two reliably fit together so perfectly that you would think they were made right next to each other.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks