Toto Drake II Tank Top

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMcD

Reaction score
At a dealer, I noticed the Toto Drake II tank top does not fit snugly. It can slide around and, when it does, displays the lip of the tank bowl. Is this normal?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of their lids come with hook and loop (aka Velcro) strips that tend to keep it in place. They may not have installed those on their display model, or you could try it yourself.

DanMcD

Reaction score
Thanks, but that sure is a bad design by Toto. The lid should fit snuggly without velco. Maybe a re-design is in order with a lid that goes over the tank top edge.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I haven't noticed lids flying around the home. Kids and grandkids use the bathrooms, and nothing changes. What do you use toilet lids for that you're worried that they will go missing?

The Vespin II and the Drake II share the same tank.

cst474_angle.jpg

A Vespin in an old Seattle home on a 14" rough, using the 14" Unifit to pull the bowl closer to the wall.

Last edited:

DanMcD

Reaction score
When a person leans back against the seat top, the seat top will push the lid and slide it back and off the tank lip...exposing the edge. Then it will need to be put straight each time this happens. An annoyance and a poor design in my opinion. I think Toto could have done better, given how great the toilet performs.

Dan

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't think I or any of the kids lean back against the tank. I just checked a Drake II that I have. The tank sets down pretty good on the tank. There is enough friction between the two surfaces to prevent it easily moving around, but yes, if you lean back you can make it move. Even if they had velcro, I imagine that leaning back could force a tank lid to move.

Do people lean back when using a toilet?

The Ultramax tank leans back, and the seat doesn't touch the tank. Making the seat contact the tank on the one-piece Ultramax would be pretty tough.

DanMcD

Reaction score
OK, well In have had the Drake II for the past 6 years and replaced the VELCRO at least 3 times. But the Drake II lid always slides toward the back of the toilet and exposes the tank rim. So ugly. I know this is caused by my leaning backwards which pushes the toilet seat up against the lid. One would think that if TOTO were as good as folks say, then they would have fixed this problem by now with a better design of the lid to include a few protruding ridges to keep the lid in place.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Ive been going to the bathroom for a few years, and my back has never touched the lid of a toilet seat. It's interesting that you would have that problem.

H__

Reaction score
OK, well In have had the Drake II for the past 6 years and replaced the VELCRO at least 3 times. But the Drake II lid always slides toward the back of the toilet and exposes the tank rim. So ugly. I know this is caused by my leaning backwards which pushes the toilet seat up against the lid. One would think that if TOTO were as good as folks say, then they would have fixed this problem by now with a better design of the lid to include a few protruding ridges to keep the lid in place.
I’m with Dan. Also, I’m surprised at how none of you lean back while using the toilet. Additionally, I’ll sit on the toilet with the seat down and lean back while keeping an eye on my son as he plays in the tub. I have a Drake I and its tank lid slides off as well. It is annoying, uncomfortable, and a design flaw that should be easily fixed with a redesign.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks