Lav drain: 1 1/2" with long thread

Users who are viewing this thread

jimathrc

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to install a custom-made vessel sink on a concrete countertop. I had the sink made for a 1 1/2" drain (probably should have used 1 1/4" I've just learned). The countertop is 1 1/2" thick. I got a standard 1 1/2" pop-up drain, installed it and it leaked. I think the reason was the there is not enough thread sticking through the countertop to get everything together will the washer supplied.

The sink and countertop are in place so I'm trying to find a 1 1/2" drain with a long thread (e.g. 4"). Does such a thing exist? If so, who makes something like that? I've looked on-line at Home Depot, Kohler, etc. with no luck. I will appreciate any pointers.

thx,

Jim

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless the sink does not have an overflow, so no water gets into the area below the drain's flange, you will never get it to stop leaking. If it does not have an overflow, then you do not really need any gaskets under the sink so what you have should work.

jimathrc

Reaction score
Hi,

Found the source of the leak: a crack in the flange of the short waste pipe. See attached photo. (I should have seen that when I put it together!)

I put it together with no washers and it's working fine.

cheers,

Jim
--

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks