Rainbird solenoid help please, it says "manual 1/4 turn On/Off

Users who are viewing this thread

jasper7821

Reaction score
I think my solenoid is bad, I unscrewed and took it off of the valve.
I turned on the controller and walked back to the valve and just heard it buzzing.
I tried to clean the blue screen and it just fell apart in my hand.
I'm getting a new solenoid but what does the 1/4 manual on/off mean.
Don't I just screw it in all the way until it stops and wire it up.
Or does unscrewing it 1/4 turn turn it on somehow.

I tapped it on the ground and the round metal piece popped off, I then turned on the controller again and walked back and the metal rod was lying on the ground. Does putting power to it push the rod out?

I also think my Hunter EC controller is bad. I was trying to program it and it was 8:58pm and the timer said 8:98. And when trying to set the days it should show 1-7 but it was only showing 1-6. Any ideas ?
I tried to reset but the screen went blank when I pushed reset but everything came back to the same when I let go of the button. It kept the same programs.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you do when you turn the solenoid counter clockwise is to manually open the valve. This is especially useful when blowing the lines with air for winterizing or if you are working on one zone and want the water to run without having to punch the buttons on the controller. Turn it back clockwise until it stops, and the valve is ready to electrically operate. You had it pretty well figured out.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Many Rainbird valves have no manual on "switch", instead you just unscrew the solenoid 1/4 turn to do manual on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks