Sink fitting in new granite countertop question

Users who are viewing this thread

Richrc1131

Reaction score
I hope this is the right thread for this. Sorry if it isn't.

I just had a granite counter top installed. The contractors for Home Depot I think cut the sink cutout too wide. My wife measured it (I am still at work) and said that there is only about a half inch of material under the lip of the new sink holding it up.

I don't know much about plumbing but I feel that there should be more. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like you are OK! But you dodged a bullet! NEVER order a hole cut or drilled in granite until the granite guy has the sink or faucet IN HIS PAWS!!!

Richrc1131

Reaction score
Ok here are the measurements:

counter area:
25" deep (not including back splash area)

cutout:
7/8 of an inch clearance from the back splash
24 1/4" wide
21 1/14" deep
2 3/4" from the front of the counter

sink:
basin is 21" wide
15 1/4" deep
4 3/4" faucet area

sink perimeter:
25" wide
22" deep

Richrc1131

Reaction score
I guess my main concern is that they said in an email that they would be drilling for the faucet and handles on site, but they didn't. They just cut a bigger hole.

I am worried that the bigger hole isn't as strong as had they drilled for the faucet and handles like they said they would.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the faucets are sink-mounted, why would they be drilling the granite? That's NEVER done. Whoever told you different
must not have been familiar with the details of your job.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Typically, the cutout is 1/2" to 3/4" smaller than the sink so yours is the right size. The only time a sink has faucet holes and the countertop is drilled for them is when the sink in undermounted. The sink should have had ribs under the ledge which have made it impossible to just cut the opening the size of the bowl, and would have done nothing to strengthen the installation. Your sink will break before the countertop would. They did it the "proper" way, based on your description.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks