Well Pump and Water Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

claywallace

Reaction score
I have lived in my house for about a year and untill recently ave had no problems out of the well. But a few days ago my water got dirty. I assumed I just needed to change the filter, and planned to pick one up next time I was by the hardware store. But in the meantime I noticed that not only did the water get dirtier but it also got hot. I was able to take a shower with just the cold water on. That completely confused me but I decided to go ahead and change the filter. So when I went to change the filter I turned off the pump at the breaker box, replaced the filter, then turned the breaker back on...but the pump wont start. So im guessing the pump is burned up now?

Also I have a very shallow well, as does everyone on my road, about 50 feet or so, and I can see water in the well. So I know its not completly dry at least.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think you have a hole in the drop pipe down the well. It recirculates water in the well until it gets warm. If it runs until the water gets hot, it will burn the motor and melt the pump. If you have PVC well casing, it might have colapsed and grapped your pump/motor. Hope it comes out for you when you start pulling up.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ja, I think valveman nailed it. At least it's only a 50 foot well if you lost it and need to drill a new one. Drillers probably charge less down that way. Around here it would cost me $48 per foot so I'd be out of pocket at least $3000.

claywallace

Reaction score
Ja, I think valveman nailed it. At least it's only a 50 foot well if you lost it and need to drill a new one. Drillers probably charge less down that way. Around here it would cost me $48 per foot so I'd be out of pocket at least $3000.

Someone told me that the well may be collapesed but I can see water so thats not right...right?

claywallace

Reaction score
So I guess tomorrow I should cut the pipe and pull the pump up? Im sure ill have to replace the pump, but if there is no holes in the pipe then what else could be the problem? Can the ground water table shift, like maybe it shifted upward and the pump was now at the very bottom? Would sucking up alot of mud cause my water to be hot?

Im new to wells and need advice. Thanks

claywallace

Reaction score
I think that maybe my pump isnt cutting off, and it's just deadheading down in the bottom of the well. Could that have an impact?

claywallace

Reaction score
Well I pulled the pump today, and sure enough, the pipe had a big crack in it right before the pump. got it all pout back together and everythiong seems to be running good. The water is not warm anymore and the pressure is holding good. But it is still dingy. How long should I expect it to take for the water to settle out? Thanks for all the help guys.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks