Inline frameless shoot door

Users who are viewing this thread

NYCremodel

Reaction score
Inline frameless shower door

doing an inline frameless shower door about 58" wide with 1/2" glass. Will consist of one fixed panel and the door. Door will be hinged on the wall and be about 26-30" and NOT go all the way to teh ceiling. The panel will be the remaining width and will be hooked with clips. Was trying to decid on 3 options for panel. 1) have it go all the way to ceiling and attached at floor and ceiling. 2) have it same height as shower door and only attached with clips at side and floor and use support bar off teh top. 3) 2) have it same height as shower door and only attached with clips at side and floor. Im leaning towards 1 or 3. So my qustions are: How much wobble in #3 and is this unsafe? How bad does #1 or #2 look?

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
doing an inline frameless shower door about 58" wide with 1/2" glass. Will consist of one fixed panel and the door. Door will be hinged on the wall and be about 26-30" and NOT go all the way to teh ceiling. The panel will be the remaining width and will be hooked with clips. Was trying to decid on 3 options for panel. 1) have it go all the way to ceiling and attached at floor and ceiling. 2) have it same height as shower door and only attached with clips at side and floor and use support bar off teh top. 3) 2) have it same height as shower door and only attached with clips at side and floor. Im leaning towards 1 or 3. So my qustions are: How much wobble in #3 and is this unsafe? How bad does #1 or #2 look?

I never specify shower clips on the ceiling or floor. I do not like any penetrations in my shower's waterproofing system at all. Since I mostly build topical waterproofed showers I do not let the glazers drill into my floors.

There is many ways to achieve the same look without the clips.

Do you need the glass to go all the way to the ceiling?

What type of waterproofing are you using in this shower?

Is there a shower curb? How was it built?

JW

NYCremodel

Reaction score
I don't need the glass to go to ceiling, but I'm considering it just for stability. Would a 30-32" fixed panel that is only attached on side and bottom be stable?

Not built yet, but will be a topical waterproofing I think. How do you not allow glaser to drill into it? How else would they attach glass? And why worse to puncture ceiling or floor than to puncture wall?

Curb will be standard 4x4 mortar curb built as part of the shower pan.

Thanks,
Mark

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A glass panel that is only "stabilized" at the bottom and one side will be VERY delicate, especially if you should stumble and bump into it. Either use a top rail to secure the top edge or run the glass all the way to the ceiling so it can be attached there.

stevenjames

Reaction score
I frequently build relevant waterproofed showers I do not let the glazers make a hole into my floors. There is lots of ways to get the similar look without the clips.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks