Advice on extending shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

michaelk

Reaction score
I'm in the process of moving a shower drain in a concrete basement floor to line up with a new shower enclosure (old was rectangular, new will be corner).

I've uncovered the p-trap and discovered that it was cast iron, but upon some more concrete smashing, that they used what look like the Fernco connectors I see in the stores today.

I'm wondering if it's advisable to just disconnect the current p-trap, and connect up the new PVC extension/trap to get it to line up with the new shower drain location? Or will I need to dig back a bit further to replace the connector with something that will fit the OD of the PVC?

Here's some pictures, hopefully they explain better than the words above. The first is where I'd like the new drain location to be. My plan would be to put a single elbow (I'm hoping 45deg will be all that's needed) and move the trap to the left as shown.

IMG_2372.jpg

Here's a picture of the existing cast iron trap with connector. Note the PVC end is 1.5" and appears to just be friction fit into the cast iron trap.

IMG_2374.jpg

Thanks in advance for any/all help!
mike

michaelk

Reaction score
How far is it from the trap to the vent?

There are two vents in the vicinity, the closest is ~32" away (straight distance, I've no idea how far following the pipe). The other is near the toilet/sink and is ~7 feet away (again, straight).

IMG_2379.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can use the proper banded coupling to transition directly from C.I. or galvanized pipe to schedule 40 PVC. Code requires a shower drain line to be 2", and the trap to vent distance cannot exceed the maximum allowed by your plumbing code.

michaelk

Reaction score
You can use the proper banded coupling to transition directly from C.I. or galvanized pipe to schedule 40 PVC. Code requires a shower drain line to be 2", and the trap to vent distance cannot exceed the maximum allowed by your plumbing code.

How far does the drain line need to be 2"? If the CI isn't 2", would I be required to replace it all the way back to the trunk? Or can I put a fitting on that transitions from 2" PVC to whatever the CI diameter is?

Regarding the "trap to vent distance", short of breaking up the concrete all around the pipes to see, how would I know if adding ~12" of pipe would end up exceeding the maximum allowed?

mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The picture appears to show a 2" drain with No-Hub couplings, NOT Ferncos. Just put your 45, (a street 45 into a NoHub coupling might be the best), on the pipe and run to the shower. The trap will rotate to line up with the new location once you get the trap in the area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks