Want To Add Wash Sink In Garage--How To Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Hammerlane

Reaction score
I want to add a wash sink inside my garage. On the opposite side of the wall where I want to add the wash sink there is an inside bathroom sink. See two different diagrams below for existing setup. What I want to do will be in my next post.

Attachments

• existing.jpg
    existing.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 3,003
  • Garage sketch exist.jpg
    Garage sketch exist.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 8,372
Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
I'd like to see if this is the correct way of adding in a drain for a slop sink in the garage based on the existing plumbing in post #1.

San-T "C" in the first diagram below would be the stub out for the garage slop sink

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image 5 proposes.jpg
    New Bitmap Image 5 proposes.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 4,281
  • Garage%20sketch%20proposed.jpg
    Garage%20sketch%20proposed.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,735
Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No traps. All fixtures need a trap (toilets have theirs built in) Nothing you have shown would pass inspection.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
No traps. All fixtures need a trap (toilets have theirs built in) Nothing you have shown would pass inspection.

Thanks for the look Gary but I stopped the drawings at both stub outs. Didnt think I needed to draw in the traps for the fixtures. Assumed that was a given.

The picture below is my bathrrom sink...see photo below. I do not yet have the slop sink as I'm waiting to make sure my process is correct.

What are your thoughts on the way I'd like to cut it the drain for the garage slop sink...shown in post #2.. based on my existing plumbing of the existing bathroom sink in post #1??

Attachments

• dwn bath sink.jpg
    dwn bath sink.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,955
Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score

Again to clarify, I stopped the drawings at both stub outs. Didnt think I needed to draw in the traps for the fixtures. The photo below is what the plumbing will look like for the slop sink in garage from the stub out. This photo in this post is not my sink. I found it on internet just to illustrate that I stopped my drawings at the stub outs.

Attachments

• utilty sink plumbing.jpg
    utilty sink plumbing.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 5,534

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As drawn the red "vent" up and over to the existing vent is both unnecessary and irrelevent. However, the vertical distance from the existing tee to the new one is too great for a "wet vent". You need to rethink your connection. If your drawing is correct, then the new drain opening is going to be too high for a conventional "slop sink". Including the traps in the original drawings would have just been adding "clutter" since they had nothing to do with the question.

Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
If your drawing is correct, then the new drain opening is going to be too high for a conventional "slop sink".

Yeah Thanks...my diagram is not to any scale. Should of pointed that out.

The new stub out for the slop sink would be 18 inches off the garage floor. Don't think that would be too high. You are saying besides that point, I can't wet-vent this new slop sink because it is on a different level than the bathroom sink?

I know AAV's are allowed in my locale. What if I was able to use an AAV for the garage slop sink. Can I still use the arrangement like in this photo below where I just cut in San-T at position "A" which would be used to pick up the garage slop sink.

Would this be proper??

Attachments

• 77777777777777.jpg
    77777777777777.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 2,175
Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Sorry had wrong diagram in post above...it is correct now. Correct as in it is the one I wanted to upload...still waiting to see if it is correct functionally??

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Regarding the concern I had about not seeing P traps, on this forum it's risky to assume anything, even as basic as P traps. Some of the ideas for plumbing are often almost 3rd world.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Regarding the concern I had about not seeing P traps, on this forum it's risky to assume anything, even as basic as P traps. Some of the ideas for plumbing are often almost 3rd world.

Gary..I know AAV's are allowed in my locale. Will the arrangement in the photo below where I just cut in a San-T at position "A" be OK to pick up the slop sink?

If you are not unable to answer the question as to whether cutting in a San-T at position "A" would be OK with the use of an AAV then it is OK to say you do not know.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 77777777777777.jpg
    77777777777777.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,893
  • aav.jpg
    aav.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 4,175
Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am not an authority on AAVs, but my shop sink was installed by a licensed plumber and uses and AAV set up much like what you show. I do know that when used, there must be access for replacement as they are mechanical devices and therefore subject to eventual failure.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
I am not an authority on AAVs, but my shop sink was installed by a licensed plumber and uses and AAV set up much like what you show. I do know that when used, there must be access for replacement as they are mechanical devices and therefore subject to eventual failure.

OK thats a start. The AAV would be accessible. Now I need someone to chime in to see if the San-T is correct.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Use your original concept, except turn the lower san tee sideways, then connect your "red vent" to a combo in the horizontal pipe, finally, an elbow out to the sink trap. 18" may be too high for the sink unless you use a "wall hung" one which can be raised if necessary.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Use your original concept, except turn the lower san tee sideways, then connect your "red vent" to a combo in the horizontal pipe, finally, an elbow out to the sink trap.

HJ...not really following what you are saying. When you say turn the lower San-T sideways do you mean so that the tap is to the right....like the diagram below. What purpose would this do being that then I would have to elbow out to pick up the slop sink trap.
Also where are you saying to connect your "red vent" to a combo in the horizontal pipe??

I've labeled some sections of pipe with numbers and all fittings with letters so that you may easier describe.

And you are right about using a wall hung sink.

Thanks

Don't u

Attachments

• New%20Bitmap%20Image%205%20proposes.jpg
    New%20Bitmap%20Image%205%20proposes.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,917
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
turn ""C" to the left. Then go to a 2 x 1 1/2" combo on its back. Go up from the combo, (#1 would be moved further to the left, then over to the tee using a longer #2. A street elbow into the end of the combo facing out into th)e room will then be your trap connection. You can either install a 2x 1 1/2" bushing before the street ell and use a 1 1/2" ell or put the bushing into a 2" street elbow.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
OK...I think I see what you mean now...so Fitting "B" would be an elbow and not a San-T correct?

Hammerlane

Reaction score
turn ""C" to the left. Then go to a 2 x 1 1/2" combo on its back. Go up from the combo, (#1 would be moved further to the left, then over to the tee using a longer #2. A street elbow into the end of the combo facing out into th)e room will then be your trap connection. You can either install a 2x 1 1/2" bushing before the street ell and use a 1 1/2" ell or put the bushing into a 2" street elbow.

Wanted to redo the diagram according to your suggestion. Attached is the first way, then the first way revised according to hj's suggestion. In the revised drawing, fitting "G" is the street-90 that would pick up the trap.

Question:
what is the advantage to taking San-T "C", in the first drawing at rotating it like in the revised? why not just stub out from its first orientation?

Attachments

• old.jpg
    old.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,454
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,656
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
To quote professor 'Enry 'Iggins, "By Jove, I think he's got it." You could not keep the tee's original orientation unless you wanted a lot of pipe outside the wall.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
You could not keep the tee's original orientation unless you wanted a lot of pipe outside the wall.

I'm still gonna need the stub-out coming "out of the wall" from the Street 90(fitting G). Don't see how stubbing out from the Street-90 compared to the San-T saves pipe length coming out of the wall.

But I appreciate your advice....learning a little about venting.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks