Bathtub plumbing layout

Users who are viewing this thread

eodschulte

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could look at this and see if it passes the "giggle test." I am finishing my basement and had to make provisions for a vent since the length of pipe (2" diameter) running under the slab is more than than 5 feet (I'm in South Dakota and they follow the UPC.) I realize the trap is a little higher than the drain right now; I will lower that down when I go to glue.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

-Nick-

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 854
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 712

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
I,ve been required in the past to use a sweep (long-turn 90) where you have the regular 90 coming off the trap. Also,
under the UPC, you need a cleanout, and the slip-joint nuts need to remain accessible.

eodschulte

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

From what I read, I thought a medium 90 was sufficient since I wasn't changing elevation direction at all (such as going from horizontal to vertical.) The med 90 is in the same plane as the trap arm and the drain line itself.

I must of read something wrong somewhere else because I thought a cleanout was required if there was more than 90 degrees (on a 2" line) bend after the trap arm.

This whole area will remain accessible since the backside of this tub wall will be in a bedroom closet.

Any other opinions out there on what can be done better?

eodschulte

Reaction score
I think i see what you're referring to as far as the long sweep 90:

706.3 Horizontal drainage lines connecting with other horizontal drainage lines shall enter through 45 degree (0.79 rad) wye branches, combination wye and one-eighth (1/8) bend branches, or other approved fittings of equivalent sweep.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; under the UPC, you need a cleanout, and the slip-joint nuts need to remain accessible

If that were true, then there are "millions" of tubs installed "illegally". The cleanout, if needed, is usually on the vertical riser the drain connects to, and I have NEVER made provision to access any slip joint nuts on a tub drain. When there are a tub and shower "back to back" it would be impossible anyway. But, I would never use a sch. 40 "P" trap with a union nut in any case, or anywhere. It appears that the "Y" could have been moved back and the "P" trap attached to it, rather than use the elbow.

Last edited:

eodschulte

Reaction score
So you wouldn't use this type of p-trap? What are the disadvantages over a standard one that gets glued (besides the slight price difference)?

I tried to not use the elbow but I couldn't get it all to line up right. Also, I was worried about the minimum distance (4") required between the trap and the vent.

Thanks again for the reply.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The medium 90 is fine on a trap arm, which is what that is.

A solvent weld p-trap is easier to install and less chance of a problem later on.

eodschulte

Reaction score
That's great news. The medium 90 fits way better. I will go get a solvent weld if thats the better way to go. Thanks for the advice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The trap might have worked if the "Y" were positioned further back and don't worry about the "4 inch separation for the vent". That is a theoetical figure which has little relevence in the real world. Over time the nut on that trap can crack and come loose.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; How critical is the 5' max distance

Do you want the technical answer or the "real world" one. Technically, it is inflexible. "Real world" you are fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks