Securing Copper Tub/Shower Rough-In

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidSeon

Reaction score
I notice that the copper tub/shower rough-in I'm replacing didn't use any pipe clamps or the fitting mounting ears. The assembly is essentially free-standing and a bit wobbly, but firmed up somewhat by the installed trim pieces.

Would a good plumber secure the rough-in to the wood framing or is it just something not worth worrying about ?

Dave

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Secure it! Now, depending on the design, it may have some screw holes for that purpose, or you may need to use some clamps or strapping around the supply pipes close to the valve.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
From your description, it sounds like it is too late, but a good plumber would stabilize and secure the valve "somehow". The somehow depends on how the valve sits in the wall. IF the trim stabilizes the valve, it is usually because it is stressing it.

DavidSeon

Reaction score
Guess they were just lazy. Not too late hj, haven't installed the new stuff yet. Screwing the valve and shower drop ear to some blocking should do it.

Thanks guys!
Dave

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is a start, but securing the valve itself so that when you tighten the screws on the trim plate you don't pull the valve forward would also be good idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks